Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x21 Daybreak, Part I $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x21 Daybreak, Part I $$
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the scenes with Baltar and his dad, they had a Steptoe and Son feel to them. There's a whole spin-off comedy right there. [Wink]

Although it was more setup for the last two hours (or hour and a half, rather), I really enjoyed it. I did feel a bit like they'd shown The Plan a few weeks early by mistake, but the backstory was interesting. What was the hour of Adama's life the guy was talking about? That wasn't something to do with the episode Hero, was it? I wonder what it was.

There were a few "wow" moments as far as the effects go. They really were saving all their time and money for these last episodes. The shots of Caprica were gorgeous and the Colony was almost unrecognisable from last week. A vast improvement.

Nice to see Zack again. Seems like they've been bringing back as many guest actors as they can before the end. Last week there was the Hitei Kan captain and the lady who was a judge at Baltar's trial, and before that we had Kelly and Laird.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bet that the city shots were practice for -- or reused from -- the Caprica pilot.

Of course I'll have to reserve judgment for next week, but I didn't get the point of all those flashbacks to Caprica. Aside from finding out that Baltar never really knew Six's assumed name, was there supposed to be a point? There's so many unanswered questions remaining... did they really need to spend time on these vignettes?

- What happened to Kara? (And where's Leoben?)
- What was the source of that music that woke up the four Cylons?
- Who or what is Baltar's virtual Six?
- Why is Hera so important?
- What is the "truth" of the Opera House visions?
- What's up with Anders? (And the other Hybrids, for that matter?)

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I was expecting that we'd cross a few questions off the list gradually as we got towards the end of the show. But the closer we get to the end, I'm starting to worry. Either there's going to be one single doozy of an answer that wraps everything up, or maybe we're heading towards a "St. Elsewhere" moment. (I was too young to watch the show, but my parents still rant about the ending every once in a while.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the CGI was much better this week. Anyways, I too didn't find the importance of the flashbacks. If they revealed anything important, wouldn't it have been better to show them on an earlier episode? I kinda felt they were padding for the final episode.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the feeling that the significance of a lot of the flashbacks will become clearer in Part II, but I agree, as it stands it seems like they could've started to show these events over the last few episodes. Mo Ryan speculates in her weekly article that the Lee/pigeon scene may not have been as pointless as it seems. He could've been the drunk driver who killed Roslin's family. Although that still sounds very soap opera-y when typed out.

Over all, though, I think the flashbacks have a purpose. If the journey is more important than the destination, then reminding, or informing us of how these characters have changed over the years is worthwhile. I read somewhere that RDM intended the finale to be similar to All Good Things, albeit with flashbacks rather than time travel. So expect more of the same next week.

And he has promised to answer pretty much all those questions.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ryans analysis of Baltar's cult. I too have trouble believing it has become so large and influential, especially in light of the fact that it seems obvious to many that Baltar is a selfish prick who only works to cover his own ass.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, although I agree to a point with the objections to Baltar's supposed power, I do see it being quite possible. After all, Baltar's been making radio addresses throughout the fleet for the entire season. Surely there are people listening to those messages. We've seen more people coming in to the cult HQ to listen to his speeches. So he's got to have a larger audience than we've seen.

That being said, why the frak are people listening to him?

And I'm SO unsurprised that Baltar wouldn't join the rescue mission.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, for a second there I thought he might just cross the line. He at least looked as if he was thinking about it.

Oh and I loved the scene with him and his dad.
As far as the whole episode goes, I think it might have been better if they did the whole finale in one hit.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another terriffic episode.

Agreed Caprica looks awesome. I wonder why it's always so bright there? Closer to their sun?

I like the theory between Lee and Roslin's family being killed.

Hands up - who else welled up when Roslin appeared on the flight-deck - and the Roslin and Adama theme played?

The hour for Adama? Maybe it was a blind date? With Laura Roslin?

It's great to be finally caught up - but sucks I have to wait a week. [Smile]

P.S. I read a post by someone - somewhere that said they worked or someone they knew worked on the show and that there would be a movie made and that they are starting pre-production later this year. Anyone else heard anything about that?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing... I've been meaning to mention this before... but has anyone else noticed Baltar's movement's "quarters"... are made to look like the inside of a cylon basestar??

There are a few areas with chains hanging in mid air - all in a row - which look like the similar things made out of ??water?? on the basestar.

It struck me in this latest episode because in the scene where they are packing up all the walls are painted red again like the inside of a basestar!

Also what was... the woman with the long black hair - that Baltar wrested leadership back from last episode or so ago saying about the 'last explosion' they're numbers had gone up?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Rev: He looked like he was evaluating the possibility of considering whether to think about crossing the line. [Wink]

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah Basically [Smile]
Johnny
Member # 878

Yeah, the comment about the last "blast" increasing their numbers confused me too. It's either something mind numbingly obvious that I'm missing, or something that got edited out of an episode.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

I like the theory between Lee and Roslin's family being killed.

Hands up - who else welled up when Roslin appeared on the flight-deck - and the Roslin and Adama theme played?

P.S. I read a post by someone - somewhere that said they worked or someone they knew worked on the show and that there would be a movie made and that they are starting pre-production later this year. Anyone else heard anything about that?

I liked the Lee/Roslin theory until someone pointed out that the police said the driver was in hospital in a stable condition, so it's not likely it was Lee after all.

Adama letting zombie Roslin join the fight just struck me as a bit dumb, actually. Fair enough, he might want her with him if he thought she was going to die pretty soon, and even moreso if he thought they'd both die. But in the end I'd expect him to tell her to stay with the fleet. She'd be more comfortable and might give some hope to the civilians. Better than being tossed about as Galactica's torn apart, you'd think. It's not as though she'd be much help, either.

There is supposed to be a movie based on the original series (separate continuity from RDM completely [Frown] ), but there've been rumours about that for a long time. Not much is known so far.

There's still The Plan to look forward, though.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was assuming the "blast" was the Boomer-FTL-induced explosion of the outer hull.

No frakking clue how that relates to Baltar's Cult, though. I doubt they actually bombed another priest in these troubled times...

Did anyone else feel terrible when that frighteningly frail Roslin appeared on the deck? That was quite shocking.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
There's still The Plan to look forward, though.

The Plan?

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

Harry, you must be right about the blast (or maybe the decompression that killed a Six). I suppose more people joined the cult because they started to really give up on Galactica after the further damage.

Andrew, The Plan is the last we'll see of RDM's Galactica. It's a tv movie like Razor that'll go back and show us the events leading up to the initial attack. They're even using some footage from the miniseries that was left on the cutting room floor, as well as scenes we've seen but from other camera positions. Apparently the director on the miniseries liked to shoot every scene from tons of angles. One thing in particular we'll find out is who Caprica Six met in the scene where she said something like "I've been expecting you". From what I can gather, none of it, or at least very little takes place on Galactica.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps