Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Tron Legacy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tron Legacy
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm surprised I didn't find an older thread about this, but I'm sure we all saw the leaked footage of the "TR2N" trailer they showed at Comic Con last year, now called "Tron Legacy". Anyway, as excited as I am about the movie, it was a bit hard to look at those tiny grainy pics and decipher what was going on. Well, the full HD version of that (test?) trailer has been put on the net here.

Looks like they not only have Jeff Bridges back, but Bruce Boxleitner as well! I realize I may be seeing the original through digitally enhanced glasses, but I loved it, and this new movie sounds like it has potential.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... wasn't Jeff Bridges the good guy in the first movie? I'll have to watch it again.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The light cycles aren't following straight lines, egads!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ground breaking CGI and 80s childhood nostalgia aside; in terms of story and acting the original wasn't exactly Oscar material. Given the talent involved this time around, I think they'd have to try very hard to make a worse movie.

If nothing else it'd be nice to see a clean, minimalist use of CG effects rather than the busy, overtly bombastic rubbish we've been seeing of late.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No shit- I saw an ad for some assinine kid's movie with a "wishing rock" and it was watching a bad demo reel.

I'm psyched- the old Lightcycle is in there too- "they say it's still the fastest thing ever rendered"...

This just might be the perfect candidate for the IMAX 3-D theatre.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's going to be shown at IMAX 3-D says at the end of the promo.

I totally forgot to post anything here about it!! I've been watching it heaps since I found it a few days ago!

I love it! I love the sinister music.

There's also a released track of some music by Daft Punk for the movie.

Very cool stuff.

I got out the old sound track by Wendy Carlos and have been listening to it. I'm also going to put the DVD back on! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys. Tron sucks. Majorly.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not anymore..." /Flynn
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*casts Necrothread XI* Going to see it todays (maybe). Engage thought process... nao.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/17/132031016/-tron-legacy

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to see it tonight too. I'll let you all know what I think.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fighting the urge to see this twice as I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D when in Orlando after Christmas. I might end up caving, though...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came back from seeing it this evening.

Really enjoyed it and the 3D was well used i.e. no pokey-in-the-eye type gimmicks. The plot and characters were much better than the original and the little references were nice and subtle.

Though I'm sure this is going to get dissected to bits on the interwebs and it'll become the latest film to fashionably dump on...before becoming the latest film to fashionably label as underrated. I'm just going to say right now that it was good and there was a lot more to it than a bunch of flashy effects. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! [Wink]

The only thing I will say is that the face replacement tech still isn't quite right. While it's miles better than the horrible attempts in the X-Men movies, there are still quite a few shots where it looks...off. Mind you there are some scenes where it worked really well (like *SPOILER* Clu having a flashback at Flinn's place */SPOILER*)

Looking at how they ended it, I'm sure they're thinking sequel or even trilogy.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gads i hope not. But yeah, its not you driving the movie, its the backers.

Saw it this eve with the dada. To me, i was thinking both remake & sequel to the 1982 Tron. Very engrossing, very entertaining and very making me VERY much wish Dysney pawned to another label to they could make a PG-13 or R-rated version. I so wanted more violence for some reason. guess well wait until the summer for the video's extra violence cut from the film.

another thing that came to mind watching the previews & the film. you think Oliva Wilde could make a passable Alita/Yoko/Gally?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sentiments pretty much echo Reverend's. I really enjoyed the movie, the visual effects, and the nods to the old movie. The lighting is really dark for pretty much the whole movie, which pissed me off a bit because I couldn't see when I tried dipping my pretzels in the cheese sauce. [Smile]
Flynn Jr. was a bit dull, but not horrendously bad. Yeah, Clu's face wasn't 100% perfect, but considering he was a computer program I found any discrepancy to be almost apt. It didn't quite work that well for younger Tron, though. That's probably why scenes of him were kept at a minimum.

And as for Tron...
$$$$ SPOILERS!!!! $$$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

$
$$
$
$
$$

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
I understand that it might have been because of thoughts for a sequel, but I kinda found the whole Tron thing awkward. Even though he was supposedly derezzed, the movie seemed to give hints that he wasn't really dead, and that he would eventually return. Well, that was all fine and good...until we find out that he's that evil masked red guy w/ the two disks because he's now under Clu's control. Okay, still good I suppose...but then in what I thought was a rushed ending, he quickly reverts to a good guy again for no apparent reason, and then turns blue as he's falling...and then we never see him again! (Not to mention that we never see his face, so he's kinda kept as just a generic bad guy. Huh?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

^I smell some deleted scenes focusing on exactly that. There's so much going on in the film that I'm sure they cut some stuff out to keep it all focused on Sam, Flynn & Quorra.

Speaking of which, was anyone else pleasantly surprised by Quorra? From what little I'd gathered from the trailers I'd taken the character to be little more than a spunky sidekick and one dimensional love interest. I loved that I was wrong on all counts and that she was surprisingly innocent and less of a love interest for Sam and more of a surrogate daughter for Flynn.

As for the face replacement, the argument that it works because Clu was a program falls rather flat when the 1989 Flynn looked just as dodgy. Not a big deal though, it's just the limitations of the technology (though I admit I'd like to see if the Avatar people could have done better.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps