Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » New Transformers toys (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Transformers toys
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day a friend and I went to Babbages and I found Transformers. I've seen plenty of Beast Wars toys, but it's the first time in a very long time I've seen them as cars again. So far I've only seen a few sets; small 2-packs (level 1), regular sized cars (level 3), and 2 big trucks (level 3) ...Optimus Prime as a fire-truck now. I don't think I've seen level 2, and with the Hasbro site down for updates I can't find any info on these toys.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard, they are the toys based on a new Transformers series that is starting soon. The premise is basically this: They're starting over. It's the same general premise as the original Transformers series from the 80's, but there are some big differences. Optimus, as you've noted, is a fire truck instead of a semi. Megatron is a jet/dragon, I think.

The series has no connection to any of the series that have been done before, but is instead, reinventing the characters.

That's what I've heard. But I don't really know the specifics.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know virtually nothing about the Transformers, but I believe it was mentioned here that the toys are from a Japanese show called "Car Robots" which is being redubbed with Transformers-esque dialogue to make a new show.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol's right.

Besically, the US (Hasbro) and Japan (Takara) both make Transformer toys. The US makes the cartoons. Japan buys them and dubs them. Then it makes more. This is the first instance of a reversal of that situation.

Beast Wars didn't do that well in Japan. So, in 2000, they did Car Robots, with everyone going back to vehicles. It was a new continuity (whereas all the previous Japanese series had been linked. Unicron even appeared in Beast Wars Neo). They made toys. They were new characters. Goodie leader was Fire Convoy. Baddie leader was a six-changer called Gigatron. I spent a lot on money importing them from japan.

Flash forward to 2001. Beast machines hasn't done well in the US. Hasbro needs time to work out what to do with the line. They deciede to import all the nice new Japanese toys, change the names to pay homage to the original series, dub the anime, and bingo! New series for very little money.

Of the toys themselves. Fore Convoy/Optimus is pretty excellent. God/Ultra Magnus is quite nice (cool vehicle, okay robot), but it mainly worth it because he combines with Optimus to form the mother of all Transformers, one who can sit on combiners and bully Optimal Optimus. Gigatron/Megatron looks pretty cool as well. Some like him, some don't.

They're all pretty nice.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that on the box. I've only got the Level 3 Autobots and haven't taken them out of their packaging hoping they might be almost as the old Transformers are today in the future. So far I haven't seen the Level 2 Autobots though.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen TV promo's of this new series. And the first thing that came to my mind about the anime cartoon style was: Digimon. I actually looks very cool!

Look here for the promo's on WMV format (viewable in Windows Media Player):
http://home.wanadoo.nl/the_dracon/rid/

The first two are just under 1 MB, the third is about 2.7 MB.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and it's Autobots vs Predicons in the US version......

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I noticed that on the box. I've only got the Level 3 Autobots and haven't taken them out of their packaging hoping they might be almost as the old Transformers are today in the future."

Toys are meant to be played with. And old Tranformers are only expensive because there's a demand for them. That demand dissapears, you end up with $20 worth of plastic in a box. Besides, Transformers aren't THAT expensive. A mint condition original Optimus might be worth $150. Is that worth 15 years? (and since Takara re-released lots of original TFs, the demand and prices have dropped considerably).

"Oh, and it's Autobots vs Predicons in the US version......"

Actually, it'll only be Predacons for about half the show, until Black Convoy and the Combaticons turn up. Then apparently Megatron will change the group name to "Decepticons". He'll also change his own name to Gigatron several episodes later...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do people collect transformer toys? are they worth alot?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh... I'd collect them simply for the sentimental value. Everyday after school I would run into the den and watch Transformers at 4:00 pm. I had a lot of the toys when I was younger. The only one that I desperately wanted (and always escaped my grasp) was Optimus Prime. Alas, in my destructive junior high school years, I ended up dismantling all of them. Damn it.

That's the similar story with all of my Legos, too. I had a huge cylinder tub full of Legos, but, when I seemingly outgrew them, I gave them all away to my younger cousin. Years later, he chunked them into the garbage. I really wish I still had all of them, too.

Damn, I knew it. College is making me regress to my childhood.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"Why do people collect transformer toys? are they worth alot?"

Old ones are worth a bit, but, like Star Wars, thats because Transformers is still "in". If the Transformers line ever stopped, the prices would drop quite quickly.

"That's the similar story with all of my Legos"

Don't make me hurt you.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wanted the Constructacons. One of my firends had them all assembled into Devastator in his room. We could go in and look at them, but we could never play with them. And I didn't have the cash to buy them myself.

He wasn't a very nice guy...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"I always wanted the Constructacons. One of my firends had them all assembled into Devastator in his room. We could go in and look at them, but we could never play with them."

After picking them up myself last year, I can see why. You can't play with them. Devestator falls apart if you sneeze in the same country as him. The later combiners weren't anywhere near as bad as this (And JRX/The trains from Car Robots/Robots in Disguise are 100% stable combined).

I spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on Shockwave a while ago. And I was very, very annoyed when I found out his arms didn't move at the shoulders. I've been spoiled by Beast Wars articulation (I did also pick up Snapdragon though, and really liked him. Okay, his dinosaur mode looked as much like a dinosaur as Simon looks like Johnny Bravo, but he's still a cool toy.)

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh, I'm sure you're right, Psy. But remember, I was, like, 10 and it was the coolest thing in the world

Another friend of mine had the die cast Voltron lion set. I wanted that even more. Actually, I saw it at K&B Toys a little while ago. But it was $30 and I couldn't afford it just then. Next I see it though...it's mine!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ah, Voltron combiners. One of those toys where part of teh fun was the playing, but most of it was watching your friends jealous expressions when they saw it. And then not letting them touch it. And then laughing. Laughing. Bwahahaha.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps