Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus"
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alrighty. More caps here. 4-17 are CIC, 18 is a hallway, and 19-21 are the fancy dand holding cell for Gina.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised nobody's commented on how Six reacts to seeing the raped Six in detention on Peggy. She's always so arrogant and divine around Baltar... and practically breaks down and begs for a klenex box.... quite surprising...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I found it sort hypocritical seeing as how she was involved in that baby factory back on Caprica in which women were being experimented on and forced to have babies against their will.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Actually I found it sort hypocritical seeing as how she was involved in that baby factory back on Caprica in which women were being experimented on and forced to have babies against their will.

i didn't see that episode... [Confused]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The episode was entitled "The Farm"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but that isn't exactly Six, is it? I mean, we don't know if Baltar's Six really exists or is just a figment of his imagination.

All of the same model of Cylons may share the memories of one another, but that doesn't mean Boomer Mk II is responsible for the actions of Boomer Mk I; or that the Six copy on Pegasus is responsibile for the actions of the Number Six copy on Caprica.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some nice grabs of the Pegasus here.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda reminds me of a comparison between the old Forrestal class and the new Nimitz class.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sci-Fi Channel has never shown Dead Like Me, though. Galactica's timeslot will be filled by its own reruns. (I think they just start from the beginning of the season again.)

And, I hear that the British broadcasts start, like, now, and continue straight through, so that by the time they get around to starting up again in the U.S., you all will be ahead by a few weeks. Not that I have any sources.

After this episode I thought for awhile about rape in TV drama, but I couldn't really gather my thoughts together, beyond thinking that it might be interesting to compare this episode to Jubal Early's threat in Firefly's "Objects in Space."

I guess the problem is that rape, as a symbol, is so. . . serious, so loud, maybe, in this sort of semiotic sense, that unless it's treated properly (and I don't pretend to know what I mean by that; I'm certainly not claiming that Battlestar Galactica didn't), it can unbalance things. If that makes any sense. Put a rape in a story that's not, I don't know, mature enough to really handle it and you get an offensive mess.

But again, that was my brief digression as caused by this episode, and not really about it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah -- the second season hasn't started in the UK yet?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I guess the problem is that rape, as a symbol, is so. . . serious, so loud, maybe, in this sort of semiotic sense, that unless it's treated properly (and I don't pretend to know what I mean by that; I'm certainly not claiming that Battlestar Galactica didn't), it can unbalance things. If that makes any sense. Put a rape in a story that's not, I don't know, mature enough to really handle it and you get an offensive mess.

Yeah. It's not like we didn't already think these Pegasus lads maybe were a bunch of jerks. I suppose it makes it dramatically OK that our heroes may be shooting at them by the next episode, but those scenes were especially disturbing. It's pretty bad when you feel more compassion for the agents of a race who comitted genocide (on a massive scale) than the revengeant survivors of that genocide.

I do get the impression that there is more to Cain's story than meets the eye. I hope that she and her crew do get a chance to redeem themselves in the coming episode(s?).

I found I was thinking about Cain's actions from a corporate raider mentality as far as undermining Adama's support before... well, persumably before either a coup or a liquidation. Something bad anyway.

I think maybe the turnabout would have been more effective had we spent a little more time with the crews re-uniting and making us think this was a positive thing. That despite all we know about human beings, that cooperation would be carrying us towards a suburb of hope. My memory is hazy, but I seem to recall the original series episode had more of that. Maybe that's what those extra 15 minutes did. (And I can tell you that it was the scenes with catatonic captive Six that made the writers think their script would squeeze into that hour.) As it was something was off from the start, and I'm not just talking about the music. You just knew that despite the apparent trippling of their military capacity, somehow this wasn't going to end good. How did the original series episode introduce us to the Pegasus? I just felt like maybe they telegraphed the turn a little too much.

But then maybe I'm just pissy that I have to wait until January. (It'll be interesting to see the Survivor count then.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the OS, the Pegasus' arrival was a big beacon of hope and everyone knew Cain as "the living legend".
His crew was fiercely devoted to him, but not exactly fanatical.

Really, that two parter is one of the best (most watchable) episodes in the OS.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January can't get here fast enough....

Did anyone catch what the Pegasus' number is? The Galactica is BS-75, and they have gold and black patches, while the Pegasus has white and blue patches. That logo was in plain sight everywhere, but I couldn't get a clear enough shot of it.

B.J.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously I'm up-to-date by the miracle of eighth-of-a-byte-flooding, and will have to remain so even if Sky One gets ahead of North America, because I have Freeview and not Sky. I'll still gloat though.

Pegasus is obviously smaller and more compact than Galactica. And now I'm even more reminded of that early Voyager concept with the underslung nacelles, that really looked like the original Galactica.

OK, now, I don't want to come all over Malcolm Reed (if some parts of the fanfic community are to be believed, that's Trip's job), but in my capapcity as weapons expert I noticed Cain's collection of antique pistols, flintlocks or wheel-locks it looked like. This presents problems when we imagine how Colonial culture might have developed while taking into account the number of real-Earth weapons and vehicles we see. . .

Either the original Colonists arrived from Kobol, then reverted to savagery, then had to develop from scratch until they were able to re-discover lost technologies like space travel, FTL drive and Uzis.

Or, everything we see is just something we're meant to suspend disbelief over, like in Star Trek where we hear sound in space, see aliens' lips synching with Universal Translator output, and believe that's really Captain Kirk's hair. That it isn't really a Humvee Starbuck's driving, that sort of thing.

Of course, that opera house on Kobol looked to be of Renaissance-era architecture, so the Colonists could have been of that level of tech and were merely transported to the Colonies by the Gods, whoever they turn out to be.

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

So you're wondering if maybe they're trivialising one of the most heinous crimes that occurs in our modern world by merely using it to underline how nasty the Pegagsus crew are, or have become? Maybe, although it didn't seem trivialised to me. In fact I thought they did it quite well by not actually revealing Six/Gina had been raped (although I wondered as soon as I saw her condition) but letting us draw our own conclusions once we saw how Sharon was going to be treated. What's the alternative? "Tonight, on a very special Battlestar Galactica. . ?"

After reading the Battlestar Wiki page on this ep, and the deleted scenes detailed therein, it seems safe to say that Cain has gender issues. Just about everyone we saw on the Pegasus was male, she blanked the President who's a woman. . . And while the Galactica women showed revulsion at the idea of even a female Cylon being raped, she obviously doesn't have a problem with it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

According to Moore's podcast, btw, there exists an extended "directors cut" of this episode which will be included on the 2nd season box set DVD.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps