Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piers Anthony?

*account deleted*

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, stop. I don't denigrate you're literary choices. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, note that I didn't say whose.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh man, now here's a science fiction movie to look forward to: http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/16/clowes_joins_gondry_.html
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn, though, between a) a favorite book being made into a crappy movie, and b) a favorite book never reaching the screen but playing continuously and perfectly in your head. We can always hope for c) a favorite book being made into a non-crappy movie, but the chances of that are always slim. Even if the movie is crap, the book remains and might even find more readers (a good thing!). Anyway, we need more things in life to bitch about.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several Lovecraft stories that I would like to see made into movies, particularly "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how I missed it, but I saw the poster for "V for Vendetta" coming out in March.

Yet we still haven't seen any "Watchman" movie.

steve12553
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
There are several Lovecraft stories that I would like to see made into movies, particularly "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".

"The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward" was made into a Vincent Price movie by Roger Corman called "THe Haunted Palace". I haven't seen the movie in probably 30 years so I don't know how well it would hold up today but I know is scared the shit out of me as a child.
IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Piers Anthony?

*account deleted*

Hey now, that's actually a good one- at the start of his career- I dont vouch for any of his other work.
He's the perfect example of a writer listening too much to what his fans want and becoming a formula writer (Peter David anyone?) because of it.

I feel the same way about all those dozens of "Pern" books- fuck, give it a rest and write something else if you still can.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, I agree about the Pern series having gotten rather derivative over the years. The original trilogy and Dragonsdawn were pretty good, though, IMO.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up hoping for a Watchmen movie a long time ago. There's no way you can do the book justice without laying down some serious green, and I really can't see any studio shelling out the $150-plus million needed to do it right for a group of characters that most of the moviegoing audience has never heard of. That said, my friends and I on the night shift at work have had fun every so often trying to cast the movie (John Malkovich as Dr. Manhattan was one suggestion once).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm. . . Whereas he demonstrably has no problem getting his tackle out on-camera, I think even he'd draw the line at the blue bodypaint.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey what about the Foundation series. If they made it like the books, I believe it would be pretty good. Of course I'm saying this with the poor job they did on I.Robot. They just the books name and totally ruined the story.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey what about the Foundation series.
I doubt you could really make a good movie of Foundation. The large jumps in time and the frequent changes in main characters would likely produce a movie that seemed disjointed and rushed. Also, among the less well informed, there would probably be accusations that it ripped-off elements from Star Wars, even though Foundation predates Star Wars by twenty years. Thus, any movie studio would utterly butcher it (i.e., they would use the name and the basic idea only).

Perhaps a well-made mini-series would do it some justice.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
I gave up hoping for a Watchmen movie a long time ago. There's no way you can do the book justice without laying down some serious green, and I really can't see any studio shelling out the $150-plus million needed to do it right for a group of characters that most of the moviegoing audience has never heard of. That said, my friends and I on the night shift at work have had fun every so often trying to cast the movie (John Malkovich as Dr. Manhattan was one suggestion once).

That's one I've been looking forward to ever since I got my hands on the graphic novel a few years back.
I will be made, sooner or later, it's just a matter of time. Not that I expect it'd be very good, an animal like that would require more than just money, lots of talent for a start. In fact as far as budgets go I'd be more worried if it had a larger budget than something more modest. A studio would probably want a summer blockbuster if they're going to inject that much cash into a comic book flick. Better I think if it were done on a smaller budget (think Daredevil or Hellboy) and make it's money back on the DVD market.
I mean, look what was done to the League of Extrodinary Gentlemen. Couldn't watch that for more than 20 minutes.

So long as we're speculating on casting, thanks to Justice League Unlimited I can't get the idea of Jeffery Coombes as Rorchach out of my head. Not sure who'd be a good Dr. Manhatten, they'd have to be tall and adept at deadpan.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps