Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope this upcoming two-hour long toy commercial doesn't ruin the artistic integrity of the half hour toy commercial.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, too. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the intention of this post:
- Stranger in a Strange Land
- Starship Troopers (I don't care what you say - it hasn't been done)
- Ringworld (the orbital approach of Lying Bastard would be the most fantastic visual effect ever done)
- Mutineer's Moon
- Footfall
- The Integral Trees
- Honor Harrington - okay, 9+ movies
- Red Thunder
- Steel Beach
- Mindkiller

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

Xenon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voice of the Whirlwind, by Walter Jon Williams. That, I'd love to see as a movie. (Williams himself in an e-mail said that he'd like to see Matt Damon in the main role.)
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My choices, irrespective of previous comments (I just skimmed 'em)...

Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn, the truly worthy Star Wars sequels. (Of course the actors' ages would be an issue, oh well.)
The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. I dunno if it could be directly translated to the screen without some kind of interpretation and embellishment, since there wasn't a whole lot of action in it (but obviously without completely destroying the concept like they did with I, Robot...), but it would make for a very interesting mystery movie with awesome visuals.
Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money. Yeah, it was probably just originally a throwaway line, but it seemed for a while that Mel Brooks actually planned to make it. At this point, I think it's way to dead to really revive, though it would've been fun to try.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, prior to Anne Bancroft's death, Mel was doing pre-production work on Spaceballs III: The Search for Spaceballs II. Near as I know, it is now languishing in Development Hell.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Along with his ability to make funny movies, so it works out, really.)
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently re-reading Harry Harrison's "West of Eden" trilogy (West of Eden, Winter in Eden and Return to Eden).

For those of you unfamiliar with this, the story is a "what if?" wondering what would have happened had the giant lizards evolved into more modern, 6 ft. (or thereabouts) tall intelligent beings coexisting on Earth with humans.

quote:
And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there; he put the man who he had formed.

And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

GENESIS

The great reptiles were the most successful life-forms ever to populate this world. For 140 million years they rules the Earth, filled the sky, swarmed in the seas. At this time the mammals, the ancestors of mankind, were only tiny, shrew-like animals that were preyed upon by the larger, faster, more intelligent saurians.

Then, 65 million years ago, all this changed. A meteor six miles in diameter struck the Earth and caused disastrous atmospheric upheavals. Within a brief span of time over seventy-five percent of all the species then existent were wiped out. The age of the dinosaurs was over; the evolution of the mammals that they had suppressed for 100 million years began.

But what if that meteor had not fallen? What would the world be like today?

It's an incredible series of books and would make an excellent movie trilogy (or more).

The goal was to rival the Dune franchise. It didn't quite make it and wasn't nearly as popular, but It is right up there with Dune, in my opinion.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sci Fi did a spin off of this, so, while done on a sci fi channel budget, it has been done.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not aware they did a spin-off. What was it?

And how can you do a spin-off without doing the original?

Are you thinking of Dinotopia? This isn't that at all.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, spin off was the wrong word. A take off?

Rex perhaps? I do not remember.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps