Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x19 - "Lay Down Your Burdens Pt. 1" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG 2x19 - "Lay Down Your Burdens Pt. 1"
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think settling on that planet would be a bad idea. Yeah, they're protected from scans and transmissions by the nebula, but it would be very easy for an unknown Cylon agent to acquire an FTL ship, jump away and inform the rest of the Cylons. It may be a good pitstop for supplies, but nothing more than that. I'd continue pressing on for Earth, especially since they've got some solid evidence for it now. Of course, now I'm starting to wonder if they're headed for another fleet split.

B.J.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing the devil's advocate:

We're kinda biased towards them continuing their journey because we know thats the point of the show. Also, we know there is an Earth of some sort.

However, for a random person in the fleet, there does not appear to be a consensus on religion, let alone whether the myth of an Earth is even real. Also, they don't know whether they can find it, let alone what condition it is in.
In addition, the situation for supplies for a common person is probably much more dire than for military personnel, making the journey more strenuous.

So settling on a habitable planet might not be such a bad idea since the alternative may be to be pursued for an indefinite time with ever decreasing supplies with the only hope being a planet which may or may not exist.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me, the whole point of settling on the planet is that they think the Cylons won't find them. Except, they should know better, because they know there's still at least one Cylon on the loose in the fleet.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So whatever happened to Baltar's Cylon detector?

I think people complaining about no missions to the other worlds are missing the point. You don't wait to launch a rescue mission until you can be sure you can rescue everyone at once. Hey, there's been a big coal mine cave-in, and we can dig out four or five guys now, or wait until we've determined where everyone is. I suppose the upside of that is that if the search takes long enough, you don't have to bother with the rescue at all. In the whole system the only survivors whose location they know for sure are Anders and his group. So where else are they supposed to go?

No, my problem, such as it is, is that I think the mission planning deserved some screentime, because it is risky, and apparently requires the deployment of some major and irreplacable assets, like Boomer. On the other hand, if the Colonial Military is unwilling or unable to save the lives of Colonial citizens, what good are they? Now that would have made for an interesting campaign issue. Or, rather, would also have made for an interesting campaign issue. Because I think the settle/don't settle is also huge and debateworthy and dramatic. But the rescue mission seems to contain some of the same ideological issues at work in the campaign: bold proactive action vs. maintaining the status quo, fear of being left vulnerable vs. the hope, however statistically improbable, of seeing your friend/relative/loved one again. Not to mention the attraction of taking the fight to the Cylons again.

I also don't see how luring the Colonial fleet away to leave the homeworlds undefended is in any way more believable than sabotaging it. I mean, ignoring the dubious wisdom of sending every defensive military unit you've got to the treaty signing, the Cylons still have to defend themselves from the fleet's massive counterattack. In the original, the presence of all those battlestars is "justified" because each one is apparently a Quorum member's personal taxi.

And, while I am ranty, I'm not so sure Earth exists. Uh, in the show.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Settling on the planet would be a big hot topic among the fleet. In fact, I would have imagined the topic would have came up when they were back at Kobol too.

That's one of the things I thought about the original. It seemed like each week they were finding a habitable Earth-like planet. I could well imagine citizens of the fleet wanting to stop and settle down.

Some of the planets, like Ice Planet Zero or Starbuck's World (the one with the children fighting the tin cans) would have benefitted from the influx to the gene pool.

That is, if everyone could live with the idea of impending doom once the Cylons followed and found them.

Settling on a world has more to do than with people simply being tired of running. I still imagine this fleet being massively overcrowded with people sleeping in ship corridores, storage areas, anywhere they can.

And if they want to start having babaies, the situation is only eventually going to get worse. There is definitely only a finite amount of space, air and food within the fleet. Air and food can be replaced when they get supplies, but space can't be added that easily.

And let's see them start retrofitting more of the ships for combat. They can make bullets and fighters, surely they can make guns and mount them on other ships in the fleet.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
And let's see them start retrofitting more of the ships for combat. They can make bullets and fighters, surely they can make guns and mount them on other ships in the fleet.

There are already armed civilian ships in the fleet, as of the "Home" two-parter. When and how they got those weapons isn't addressed, though.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd still like to see those weapons get used. Although typically the rest of the fleet jumps away when there's any danger about.

B.J.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Although typically the rest of the fleet jumps away when there's any danger about.

Which is pretty logical. You don't go running into battle with women and children aboard unless you're Captain Picard. I am sure that we'll eventually get to see a civvie ship get backed into a corner and fire a few shots (just as soon as they have the FX budget for it).
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, considering the upcoming episode is going to be ninety minutes long, might be a while -- or that ep may be the one they decide to blow their wad on. We'll see soon enough.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, and again, all I know about space fighter mechanics I learned from playing X-Wing and Tie-Fighter. But I seem to recall drawing an awful lot of friendly fire dodging through convoys. Like, "thanks really for using your big, dumb quad-firing turrets to take out that measley, shieldless Tie I was doggin', but I wish I still had my wingman or any shields left." And so there might be a decent non-budgetary explanation as to why we don't see the civies shooting.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never could keep wingmen around.

The best use I had for other fighters was the first mission where you take out the freighters. I figured out how to use the rest of my squadron and take out all of the freighters.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chances of jumpin into the orbit of a perfectly camouflaged habitable planet seems minimal to me. Something smells Cylon to me. I mean, a Cylon programmed the FTL jumps, and now they find this cosy planet?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps