Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 3 The Last Stand $ warning $ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: X-Men 3 The Last Stand $ warning $
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I guess I'm the first to post this up... which is rare. But the film is way more action oriented in the end than the first two films... but I'm still somewhat shocked at how Xavier and Scott end up. I'm still just shocked though at the whole conclusion.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey T:
Wow, I guess I'm the first to post this up... which is rare. But the film is way more action oriented in the end than the first two films... but I'm still somewhat shocked at how Xavier and Scott end up. I'm still just shocked though at the whole conclusion.

Deaders, both. Triples at the end for jean.

It caught me by suprise, too but, since it's hollywood and when someone want's off a show they tasha yar'em or promote to Star Fleece Medical, then this makes perfect sence then.

possibly.

either way, it was a good movie. Just one question though. how does Jean's movie phoenix powers compare to cannon comic book rites?

[Razz]

and loved Kitty's getting some action in the end, too [Big Grin] very good use for her...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used Kitty v. well - I wondered actually what use her power in the field would be - but it was shown to be very useful. Pity no nightcrawler but it would have just confused things. The body count was large and I'm pissed of at it but at the same time I think it showed they had guts because in most of these 'big' movies - everyone ends up 'fine' in the end.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey T:
It caught me by suprise, too but, since it's hollywood and when someone want's off a show they tasha yar'em or promote to Star Fleece Medical, then this makes perfect sence then.

I'd say, given that some entity called Phoenix is involved, maybe even them three wouldn't be cashing out their final checks...

But the rest of the movie was good. A more profound view at the relationship between Xavier and Magneto, Mystique betraying the Brotherhood after she's been left behind, the Angel subplot was good enough... and it's always a pleasure to see McKellen, Stewart and Kelsey Grammer acting. Especially since Beast is one of my favorites.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised Beast didn't end up teaching again in the school... although it's always an option I guess.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ay, large body count indeed, but did ye stay 'til after the credits?

So the dialogue was pretty crap mostly and the melodrama was, well I genuinely felt bad for McKellan and Stewart for having to emote some of that tripe. Just so on-the-nose deliberate, "This is the action which is about to happen and these are the emotions I am feeling about this and also my motivation. (Sorry you are too dumb to be trusted to work this out for yourselves, but thanks for your ten bucks, suckers.)" There were dead-end emotional subplots that never really took off for me, but to me the crippler was Logan and Storm's literal collapsing in tears after Xavier's disintegration. Other low points include the thirty or so seconds that the future of the school is in jeopardy and Magneto's preposterous change of heart upon his untimely dis-mutanting.

That said, I did find some things to like. I thought on the whole the effects looked pretty great. I enjoyed Vinnie Jones's Juggernaut. The Dark Phoenix thing had SOOO much potential and at a couple points it almost seemed to ignite, but never quite delivered on the promise. From spotty memories of intermitent attention to the comic series there was this idea that the Dark Phoenix was some immortal primordial force incarnated in and occupying Jean Gray, and that incredibly compelling notion seemed to be set aside for the rational and very-much watered down version of Jean being an uniquely powerful mutant with MPD. Anyway the mood with the dark eyes and floating/swirling objects was genuinely spooky without being entirely unsympathetic, surely a difficult line to walk, and Famke did so beautifully. Speaking of incredibly beautiful women, Rebecca Romijn in (and out of) blue body paint while performing acrobatics is something of which I could stand to watch a bit more. Also I think we can all agree that everyone loves to watch Wolverine kick a lot of ass, and while the one-liners began to take on Shwarzaneggarian proportions, he did ultimately kill a lot of people.

I really wish I hadn't been groaning so much at some of the corny lines and cheeseball situations, because there's a really great movie in there wanting to get out.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds awesome in that "wait for video" sense.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entire movie or the bit after the credits? Cause I think the movie, while not as good as the first movie was an absolute spectacular! Mutants galore!

I thought it was quite good - I just didn't like the hight mutant body count - but that's just me.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it last night with friends, we all rather enjoyed it but yeah, it didn't quite pop as much as the second one and personally I put it down to the short running time. I mean 1hr 47mins is barely enough time for a run-of-the-mill action flick to satisfy, but for something with such a large cast it's not een close to giving everyone their due time. Poor Rogue spent the whole time in what seamed to be a seperate film. A made for TV drama about abortion by the feel of it, which felt very jarring considering her & Logan were the central characters of the first one.
So yeah, an extra 30 mins could have made all the difference here. Aside from giving rogue something to do (like aquiring strength & flight) they could have given Jean more to do aside from looking grim and vacant, gave some character depth to Kitty and done something more with Magneto's defeat, which as it stands seamed way to easy.

As for phoenix, I waited the whole film to see her to the giant flaming bird thing. Am I the only one that thought that was what a phoenix is supposed to do?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we all know phoenixes are supposed to save Harry Potter from having his franchise killed off.

But the film - you're right Rev, I walked out of the Theatre realy noticing how short it was. The plot was certainly more concise, but I did feel that rather than trimming it (as would be ideal with most other comic book movie plots that have popped up recently) it needed more!

On the whole I liked it, but the bit after the credits elicited a BIG groan from the twenty-ish people who watched Jonathon Ross (or were told about it like me). The bloke behing me said "Fucking hell, they're gonna make a fourth one!" I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not in his eyes.

Overall I did like it, the plot was (as with the last two films) intelignet and watchable. Saying that, yes BX, the dialogue is a bit poo, and the oopening scene (20 years ago etc.) was a bit toe curling - I want his car though.

The minor charicters were not fleshed out enough, and the old ones were given shite lines.

So Shik, not so much wait for video, but for the DVD with the extended scenes in it.

Despite that, I saw trailers for the Superman flick, which looks cheesetastic and used the John Williams theme (I think Kevin Spacey is in the closet, anyone else), Pirates of the Caribbean (looking good, but it's still got Keira-"I can't act, am not as good looking as I think I am, and have no boobs in 'The Hole'"-Knightley in it, which always spoils it for me, and the Omen - a remake which will not be as good as the original or havid David Soul being killed in a nasty fashion. I might be reading alot over summer.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I also thought Rogue should have been given a larger part.

I must say Storm was how Storm always should have been from X-Men 1 - I think I read where Halle Berry wasn't coming back unless Storm was made more like her comic-counterpart.

GAWD that was a crap line in the first movie when she zapped Toad.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that was a Joss Whedon line and the intention was for it not to take it so over-dramatic, more of a "well, y'know... pretty much the same thing that happens to everything else."
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here's my buck-fifty (I got way more than two cents to say about this flick).

The X-Men were coming back to Earth from the space station of the guy who invented the Sentinels in a shuttle that didn't have enough shielding in the cockpit to protect from the radiation storm that was coming. Jean sent everyone back into the protected cargo hold and piloted the shuttle to a splashdown in New York Harbor. And died in the process (ish). As all of the other X-Men are bobbing there and somehow not suffering hypothermia, Jean (we think) comes boiling out of the water surrounded by the image of a giant flaming bird. For all its other craptacularness, the old animated series got this right on.

Anyway, yes. Phoenix is the manifestation of the life-force of the universe -- the wellspring for everything not yet born. It wrapped Jean in a healing cocoon (which was found by the Avengers) and took over her life to see what it was like to be human... And fell prey to our darker passions.

I definitely would have liked it if SOME of this had made it into the movie.

I was always bothered by the relationship between Logan and Rogue. In the comics, it was the relationship between Logan and Kitty.. And even though we didn't have any outings to an alien starship, I still would have liked to see Lockheed. Love that little dragon.

I was pissed about Mystique, but not in the way you might think. When she reverted to human, all I could think was "paint her blue and give her red hair and ellow eyes and THAT'S what Mystique is supposed to look like. 'Becca originally pushed for the Mystique costume we got because of a descriptive line in the script for the first movie that said Mystique was "vaguely reptilian". Okay, I don't know where that comes from, but even still, 'Becca, it was not talking about her physical appearance.

Moving the Golden Gate Bridge was awesome. The brief appearance(s) of Moira MacTaggart was awesome. I wish we'd actually seen the lanky kid from the first movie turn out to be Cannonball. Loved the Fastball Special, as well as the "Days of Future Past" Danger Room bit. Kitty and Peter are supposed to have feelings for each other, leave Bobby out of it. Liked seeing Bobby truly become Iceman. I wished the cameo mutants were more identifiable. I saw Callisto in the credits, but I can only try to deduce who she was supposed to be in the movie. Didn't like Chrles or Scott dying, although the aftermath up there in Canada was the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time. I still would have liked Alex Summers to have made an appearance. The Beast's presence was great (and Kelsey Grammer was wonderful in the role). Nightcrawler's absence was not. And why didn't Magneto open the third cell in the prison truck?

All in all, three-movie contracts or not, this should have either been an hour longer or two movies.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Callisto was the bitch with the lip-piercing and omega tat.

If they included aliens and space storms people would have just groaned and walked out. They introduced Phoenix/Jean Grey the best way they could in the confines of what has been laid down in the past two movies. Reading what you typed above I thought you had started to talk about The Fantastic Four.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... The Avengers took Jean's cocoon to the FF and Reed was studying it when it broke open and the real Jean emerged.

Which was messy, because by this point, we had Phoenix take her place, go bad, and commit suicide. We had Mr. Sinister clone Phoenix (thinking it was Jean) as Madalyne Pryor, whom Scott married. She was powerless, but became the Goblin Queen during the Inferno storyline, and died. But before that, the real Jean returned, Scott found out and went back to her (boy, was Maddie pissed), and they and Hank, Bobby, and Warren formed X-Factor.

And, of course, somewhere in there, Rachel Summers came back from an alternate future and joined the team, calling herself Phoenix, too -- even though she was only a TK/TP like her mom.

Messy.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps