Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Super Star Destroyers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Super Star Destroyers
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. The Executor is the only canonical SSD. But the novels are replete with them. We have the Lusankya which was under the buildings of Coruscant. The Lusankya was probably built during Palpatine's first reign. Now, we have the other ones that were built by warlords. Zsinj was given the Iron Fist while Palpatine was still around, but what about his second one? And what about Delvardus's Knight Hammer?

According to the SWTC, the following SSDs were constructed by Palpatine:

Executor
Reaper
Guardian
Vengeance
Agressor
Iron Fist
(Brawl)
Lusankya

The following were constructed after Palpatine's death:

Knight Hammer
Intimidator
Razor Kiss
Unknown
Unknown

Now, if Palpatine can build the Death Stars, building all those SSDs is pithy in comparison. But how did simple warlords manage to build 5 of them? The Intimidator and the 2 unknowns were in the Black Sword Fleet, and the Intimidator was captured and renamed Pride of Yevetha. These ships are not cheap to build, so how did warlords manage to build them?

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."
-The Gospel of Jesus, Stigmata

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, the Empire was building several in secret and the Warlords just finished them up in some hidden shipyard?

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only secret SSD was the Lusankya, which was constructed under the Executor's name and buried under Coruscant for Isard.

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should help...
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html#list

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I love you all. Now shut up. Danke." - Simon Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm missing the Eclipse and Eclipse II in the list above. So I figure you mean Palpatines death in the Death Star II. Because after his 'death' he return 6 or 7 years later in a younger cloned body, and with the Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer. And again, here he makes a second attempt at the same plan with the Eclipse II.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 12, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Uh, Mike, the Eclipse and Eclipse II weren't SSDs... They were different. A whole new class.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But both build under supervision of Palpatine and years after the other SSD's.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you control all functions of a nation, including the industry, building structures like the Death Star and SSD's aren't that difficult... All one needs is the proper motivation. In our time, money is a good enough motivation, but in Star Wars, it'll be different.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

How would it be different in SW? Money is still a driving force of their lives.

Here's a pic of the Eclipse in formation with an Imperator, from Frank's site.

And here's the Executor, again from Frank's site.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 12, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not an Imperator in front of the Eclipse...it's actually a larger heavy destroyer, the same class as the Allegiance (which also appeared in the Dark Empire comic).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Antagonist Class Badly-Armored Poorly-Equipped Crappy-Fire Support Tug. To search out new armor and batteries. Because, well, we don't have a warp-core. That is my flagship, BTW." - Antag

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Oh. Well, that makes the Eclipse even bigger, then

------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, like an anaconda Vs. python, it's not necessarily taller, but deeper and thicker. I would like to see that superlaser in action, haven't done that.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Red XIV
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not an Imperator flying with the Eclipse. Note the lack of any hanger bay, or at least any that's externally obvious.

As for the post-Endor SSDs, Razor's Kiss was built by Kuat Drive Yards itself, not some warlord's comparitively minor shipyard. Intimidator and its sister ships were probably built at Byss, like Eclipse and Eclipse II. After all, Byss is where the Black Fleet survivors went when the recaptured their ships. And low- to mid-level crewers in warlord fleets would hardly have known about Byss prior to the Palpatine clone revealing himself (which happened after the Yevetha captured them). So the only one confirmed to have actually been built BY a warlord was Knight Hammer.

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's good to know that after enduring four years of chronic insomnia from this VERY subject, Topher will be able to sleep soundly again at last!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, talk about a tremendous revival... [Eek!]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps