Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Nature of the Sabre - A Show of Force? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nature of the Sabre - A Show of Force?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, I love writing cryptic thread titles...

I have a theory I want to share with you ladies and gentlemen. Well, one big theory and then lots of subtheories in the same direction.
Try and bare with me as these ideas came fast and not at the same time. They may have been thought of before, but I'll take the chance. Keep in mind that I'm discussing theories here, not proclaiming laws.
---------------------

Maybe a Jedi padawan uses force as a barometer in the last stages of sabre construction, to find out what frequency his blade should have.
It must precisely match the delicate force-frequency of the padawan that activates it. Thus, the sabre gets an individual colour. And so, two seemingly similar sabres can have small differences in colour tone (Ep I Obi-Wan's blue sabre vs. Anakin's Ep IV blue-white sabre).

This doesn't have to mean that red is bad and blue is good, just that they are different. Like blood types. There are a lot of blood types, but they're not better or worse than one another, just different.
This could involve the whole midichlorian concept as well, if the force "stuff", flowing through the Jedi, clots or slows down around his sabre when the sabre's not entirely his frequency, his colour.

As far as we know, the essence of a sabre is just plasma energy, not laser light. But what if that radiating energy, coupled with the violent and fast gyroscopic effects in and around it's core, is so sensitive during it's first activation that the sabre would short out or even explode if the jedi holding it upon activation had too differing a force-frequency than the frequency he had tuned the sabre to.
The midichlorians or the "force stuff" irritates rather than envelops the blade, exposing it to stress.
Kind of like two magnets of the same polarity. Or salt water vs sweet water.

This is why the sabre construction and first-ever activation is the final test of a padawan. He could only make it work if his force aura has matured enough and expanded enough to envelop him, and if he is sufficently "in touch" with it that he can determine it's very frequency and adjust the sabre to match! Now that's one approved jedi!

So why doesn't a sabre explode every time a jedi activates it that isn't tuned with it, like Luke or young Kenobi?
Because the only time it is absolutely critical that the two frequencies match is that very first time the sabre is activated, when it for the very first time impales the air and is vulnerable for a fraction of a second.
The very first sabre-activation is literally do-or-die. After the first use, the most sensitive parts of the sabre and the rod-like containment field it forms have been tried and true.
Later, anyone can wield it, but not with the same bond to it, or the same ease, as the constructor. It flies best and most freely inside HIS aura.

This could also mean that one can't change the colour of a sabre once it is set, the frequency-critical parts fuse with eachother once the sabre has been active inside it's owners force aura for a short while.

It does not, however, prohibit a Jedi from constructing an additional sabre, whether he wants to do things the akimbo way or just needs to replace his first sabre that was stolen/destroyed.
In fact, a Jedi can make as many as he wish, as long as he has spare parts and a steady hand. :-)

When Luke got Anakin's sabre in ANH he had no obvious trouble using it, partly because his powers hadn't come to fruition yet, but also because he never had experienced a sabre that WAS tuned to his force-type. A truly bad start for a sabre-virgin like Luke, to be forced to use the former tool of the most midichlorian-intense padawan ever to have existed, wouldn't you say?

Maybe his sabre was indeed slowing him down or compromising his performance at the Bespin duel, because it wasn't HIS sabre.
Of course, Luke's lack of training, combined with fear, did the most damage to his style. :-)

As for Kenobi using Jinn's sabre to defeat Maul in TPM, Kenobi was obviously more experienced with sabres than Luke. Also, he could be more compatible with Jinn's force-type than Luke was with Anakin's, having had the luxury of having Jinn as a master and working and living with him for a long time. (living???)

The fact that young Kenobi didn't execute a more sophisticated manouver than a basic side-sweep to slay his foe could be interpreted as a sign of justified inconfidence. He had felt his master's sabre frequency before (while training, no doubt) but wasn't sufficiently secure in wielding it like his own, therefore he restricted his repertoire to "basic sabre techniques 101".

Some Jedi Knights/masters eventually decide to take on a pupil. What if they choose their padawan based on how compatible they feel they are with them, force-wise. If so, Kenobi really was destined to fail with Anakin, as their force-types were radically different and disharmonic.

It could also explain why Jinn and Kenobi were so very "on the same level" through the whole movie, very at ease with one another, except when debating Anakin.
In fact, the very emotional (one might even say cuddly) death scene of Jinn could almost lead one to believe that they had something more in co...NO! STOP IT, BACK ON TRACK, GUY!

Ahem, my main theory also supports an alternative to why Anakin loses his old sabre and later builds a new one, during/after his journey to the dark side.

Episode II or III will most definately depict him dropping or losing his sabre in the fateful fight with the now bearded Kenobi, but what if he indeed throws it away because he has suffered from a radical change of frequency and type of his force??
His old sabre couldn't match his force any longer and instead obstructed his new self, forcing him to build one that is "up-to-date" with his aura.

Midichlorians have been shown to be concentrated in the bloodstream (TPM). Say a jedi develops a force-type later in life that differs from the one he had when he was born (or when he started using it actively as padawan).
Either through converting (like Vader) or simply being out of touch with oneself (Palpatine) the "new" midichlorians fight the body and its immune system because they weren't made for it originally.
Thus, the subject develops pale, sick skin and lacerations.

Summary: The Jedi have a stronger bond to their sabre than we thought, and the colour DOES matter, to the person building the sabre.
But not necessarily meaning that the colour spectrum is also an attitude spectrum (volatile vs calm fighter), nor a barometer for dark/bright jedi.

Obviously Lucas gave Vader a red sabre and Luke a blue sabre (originally) just as cowboy heroes had white hats and bandits had black.
But since we have only seen two "real" red sabres, Vader's and Maul's, the trend could still be turned if some good Jedi gets a red sabre and a sith has a blue one in Ep's II and III (In one non-canon production Palpatine had a small, purple sabre).

Thank you for your attention.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appendix 1: If Kenobi and Anakin were so incompatible as teacher and student, why didn't the high council pull the plug as they must've sensed the imbalance between them?

Well, the gorge between them probably didn't grow to a dangerous level until at an advanced state of Skywalker's training.
Therefore they had to trust Kenobi's judgement or they would have to stop trusting every Jedi Knight with a student problem.

Appendix 2: Why didn't old Kenobi discuss the differing frequency of Anakin's sabre with Luke as he gave it to him?

Luke hadn't developed his Jedi skills nor his force aura enough at that time, so he didn't know if the sabre would pose a problem to him later on.
And he didn't live long enough to see if it did either...

Appendix 3: But Kenobi's spirit did, how about that??

Well...Ghosts don't discuss sabre frequencies. It's silly.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 25, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

Oops, sorry, guys. I forgot to say the words, I guess.

Ahem, "You may comment now!".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that they just use crystals myself, but that the ones they choose/make/whatever are attuned to them in some form or another.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Nim
Member # 205

Ok, Teelie? Who are you? Member 280, so you must've been here for a while. Put your AKA in there too, please.

I don't like the explanation of chrystals, it's an afterconstruction. I'm trying to form a theory that's consistent with the canon.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the explanation for the colour of the light sabres. Not so sure about the incompatible frequency thing, sounds good but there is nothing to imply it in the films. If it was written into the next films I'd go along with it, though.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Nim
Member # 205

It might get a bit technical (treknobabbling?) yes, but a graduation ceremony with Anakin building his silver sabre that we've grown to love would be great.
He activates it for the first time, swings it around, or maybe there's a predetermined Kata-ritual he must execute after activating it. People applaud and Obi-Boy is proud of his pupil! Hooray!

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tis me, I was just trying names on for size, but went back to my original, don't wanna be like a certain other member who changes his name on a post by post basis.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm has a very exhaustive treatise on the light sabre using physics and japanese kendo as analytical analogies. i suggest you check it out.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

We've all read Curtis Saxton's and Robert Brown's little notes, thank you very much.
I had preferred that you actually participated in the process instead of referring to someone else's work.

Hehe, who am I kidding? This thread died long ago, that's why I nowadays go to real SW-forums instead, saves me a lot of time.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i'm sorry that i didn't decide to argue and tell you that your ideas are dumb . by the way, could you give me the URL's to some of those star wars forums? i am getting into star wars after a rather long hiatus, and i am ineterested in seeing some good, dedicated boards.

thanks!
--jacob

IP: Logged
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "midichlorion" garbage from EP1 sounds like a quick explanation to the question: "where does the force come from?" or "how come Jedi can touch the force while others can't?"

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

No, it's not an explanation. The midichlorians are only a cellular reaction to the force (a barometer, it seems), they don't command it or induce it, you can't bottle it up and inject 'chlorians into the man on the street and get super jedi or others would've tried it.

They have a connection to the force, however, but some of what I said up there was just smaller subtheories, so they may need some working on.
Again, I'm not saying I support everything I posted here, I'm just speculating.

I agree the midichlorian thing is very new information and will have to be polished somewhat for us fans to understand it better, but I'm glad they had the enthusiasm to expand the knowledge of the force.
Of course, now that Anakin's 'peculiarity' has been established, we may not hear of the 'chlorians ever again.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I s'pose you're right. i just really dis-like that movie. it was obviously geared towards younger children. in my opinion it made a big joke of star wars. in the next movie i really really hope Jar Jar gets run over by some sort of heavy object.
Nim
Member # 205

It was very much a children's movie, yes. I can guarantee, though, that things will get a tad 'hotter' in da next ep, as you probably can imagine.

And if Lucas manages to depict the slaughter of millions of Jedi and the introduction of galaxywide dictatorship, without filming A SINGLE DROP OF BLOOD, I will be more than a little disappointed.
Of course, the bulk of it will prolly happen in EpIII, but I don't know.
I make it a point to keep away from spoilers and script examinations.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps