Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Lightsabers and continuity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lightsabers and continuity
Timelord
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought the new issue of Star Wars Insider with a cover photo of Anakin standing with his lightsaber at the ready. I must admit to being a little disappointed by the fact that he is holding a Vader-esque Heiland reproduction and NOT the Graflex type we were all introduced to as Anankin's lightsaber in Ep4.

Now, this isn't a really big deal to me, as I suppose he could lose this saber at some point and build another, but it would be rather more satisfying to learn that Luke trained with the very lightsaber his father built as a padawan and fought with in the Clone Wars.

While I'm on the subject, I was also expecting Obi Wan to be wielding the lightsaber he had in Ep4. After all, he lost his in the battle with Darth Maul. Instead, he seems to have constructed a duplicate of the saber he had before. Perhaps it would have been more fitting if he had chosen to carry the saber of his fallen master Qui Gon. Any thoughts?

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He shouldn't need to carry Qui-Gons sabre out of guilt or duty, they could just put it on the bonfire with him.
I do agree both Obi-Wan and Anakin should've had the "real" pieces we saw in ANH, but I also understand the designers lust to keep going with this new Star Wars design trend. I really liked Padawan-Obi's sabre.
What it does for continuity is, of course, pretty sad.
I'll enjoy to see what sabre Christopher Lee's dark Jedi wields.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Obi-Wan should've either continued to carry Qui-Gon's (I think he was wearing it at the parade in Ep 1) or built the one that he carries in Ep 4. The one thing that he should not have done, IMHO, is buld an exact replica of his Episode 1 saber. I have no cluue as to why they chose to do that even though I really liked his Ep 1 design.

Anakin...I think I've seen him carry two sabers in pics of this movie. I've seen the magazine cover you mentioned, and I noticed the same thing...it looks Vaderish. It may even be the same one and they will try to have him lose it and get it back agian at some point upon becoming Vader or something... But I seem to recall seeing one that looked much more Luke-ish as well...

Now, I'm hardly an expert and it could very well be the same prop.

Christopher Lee's saber is a bit different. I won't describe it for you in case you want to be surprised, but it's pretty cool

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of new sabers as we will supposedly be seeing alot of the Jedi from the council fighting in AOTC.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys spend waaaaaaaaay to much time to detail.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could say they don't spend enough time on it...you know...being the people who create it and all...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I guess they're concernced with the silly things, like making an engaging story. [Wink]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

They are?

*cough JarJar cough*

[Smile]

Nah, I m just messing around... I know what you mean...but still, they need to at least give some thought to these things...especially since they know we're watching.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now Aban, or Abe (may I call you Abe?), there's a lot of ways to motivate Obi-Wan building another sabre of the same design.

1: He liked it.
2: As it was designed with traits of Qui-Gon's sabre-design, it would still be a token of respect to his late master.
3: As the forging of a sabre is a very personal thing for a Jedi, kind of like a thesis for an academic student, he didn't have the motive to think up a totally new design from scratch.

The most accepted motive for Anakin to build a different yet similar sabre is of course the big crossroads he had just passed when turning dark, kind of like a statement.

It would've been very fun and intriguing if Vader had noticed Luke wielding HIS old sabre in the standoff at Bespin, and so commented on it when they met.

Of course, at that point Vader hadn't let the cat out of the bag yet. :-)

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm not saying that there was no reason for Obi-Wan to have built an identical saber (at least I don't think I said that...checking....nope), all I'm saying is that I don't think the creators should've given the character the same saber. It seems unoriginal to me. He lost it. He built a new one. It should look different.

See...I'm a prop guy...I mean, even Mace Windu gets a new saber for Ep 2 and we only ever saw his Ep 1 saber in promo stills. We certainly never saw him loose it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
Member # 205

Yeah, that was a real bum deal for "continuity", although we never actually saw it in the movie.

And the Windu-sabre for the books was a totally different one, built with parts from Maul's sabrestaff. With the red powerbutton, you know?

Otherwise the whole council had managed to keep a pretty diverse set of designs. I liked Ki-Adi Mundi's design, albeit a totally symmetrical cylinder.

But look on the broight side, now we get even more designs to look at in the coming movie, wink wink.

Did you read my thread about sabres present in the cinematics of the "Jedi Knight" PC game?
I was pretty impressed they made/brought so many well-built sabres for that comparably small production.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

They explained the two different Windu sabers in one of the comics. The with Maul-parts was another Jedi's that Windu borrowed for a time to take part in some Jedi ritual (their equivilant of wife-swapping or something). I don't remember whose saber it was...Plo Koon's I think.

But yes...many of the Jedi, new and old, featured in Ep 2 will be seen using their sabers from what I've seen so far.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wife swapping? The hell is this, a swingers bar? YEESH! [Confused]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like how there are only going to be Blue, Green or Red light sabres.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Samuel L. Jackson talk Lucas into arranging a purple lightsabre for Mace Windu (for various nefarious purposes, one can only assume)?

[ February 13, 2002, 22:47: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes...Windu's saber blade is purple. At least it has been in the few stills that I've seen.

Geez...I was totally joking about the wife swaping joke... I thought that was pretty clear. Sorry if it didn't come across that way.

But the comic did show them exchanging sabers.

[ February 14, 2002, 05:46: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps