Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » The Death Star (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Death Star
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, one presumes they will be born at some point during the film."

Then all Lucas has to do to shut the fanboys up is make sure nobody calls Ben "Obi-Wan" after that point.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has it been confirmed that the birth will occur during the film? I thought I had heard that it would be one of those things that happened "in between" III and IV.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
However, everybody considers them canon,

I don't consider them canon. I know people who doesn't consider them canon.

And most importantly, Lucasfilm doesn't consider them canon.

quote:
mainly because there will never be any movies after EP. 6 that will contradict them.
And how exactly do you know that there will be no other works authorized by Lucas after ep 6 that will contradict them?

And how exactly this makes canon novels that happen before ep 6?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, everybody considers them canon, mainly because there will never be any movies after EP. 6 that will contradict them.

Everybody considers the ghost of Sith masters and, the Emporer having an endless supply of clones of himself, the awful "Sun Crusher" and "force dragons" as canon?

And they say bad things about Ferengi on Enterprise. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, most of the novels follow the same storyline. The events of previous novels are referenced in the other novels, and when someone writes a new novel usually they do not change what already has been established.
Also, the Star Wars encyclopedia, the Chronology, and most reference books all list the events that occurred, meaning at least those people consider them to be canon.

I guess that you might consider them a separate series from the movies, but since there will not likely be another trilogy, they are the best source of what comes after the 5 original movies. Even if there was to be another trilogy, they wouldn't completely disregard the novels and might incorporate some events from them (remember, "Coruscant" came from the Zahn novels).

As for novels that come BEFORE ep. 6, I tend to not regard them as canon, seeing as the prequels might contradict them. But novels or comics that come before even the prequels could probably be considered canon, because they follow each other and cannot be contradicted much by only 7 or so hours of film.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has it been confirmed that the birth will occur during the film? I thought I had heard that it would be one of those things that happened 'in between' III and IV."

Well, I hadn't really heard anything official either way. I just figured it was too important an event to just not show.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be happy if the just remember to have Obi-Wan pick up Anakin's lightsabre after their duel.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi-wan can just be called "General Kenobi" instead of Obi-wan... and then there is no problem.

I want to see Luke at least on Degobar... considereing his line "I've been here before" or whatever it was in TESB.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The thing is, most of the novels follow the same storyline. The events of previous novels are referenced in the other novels, and when someone writes a new novel usually they do not change what already has been established.

That's nice for them, of course, but folowing inside continuity doesn't make novels canon [Smile]

quote:

Also, the Star Wars encyclopedia, the Chronology, and most reference books all list the events that occurred, meaning at least those people consider them to be canon.

Star Wars Encyclopedia and the Chronology is not canon either, so it is irrevelant whether they consider certain novels canon or not.

quote:

Even if there was to be another trilogy, they wouldn't completely disregard the novels and might incorporate some events from them (remember, "Coruscant" came from the Zahn novels).

Despite being the first novels where name "Coruscant" is used, Zahn trilogy is not canon either. The same thing goes for "Shadows of the Empire", which introduced us to Outrider, which was later inserted in the ANH SE.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Neither of us wil change our opinion. At least we can agree we are all waiting anxiously for Episode III (although judging by the response to Eps I and II, I can't say that either).

--------------------
Meh

Kazeite
Member # 970

My "opinion" is not an opinion - it is the fact.
The fact is that novels are not canon, although in some people's opinion they are canon.

Analogically, I may not like the fact that Brannon Braga has declared Enterprise canon, but this is the fact - Enterprise is canon :/

And most of all, myself included, are waiting anxiously for Episode III [Smile]

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
My "opinion" is not an opinion - it is the fact.
The fact is that novels are not canon, although in some people's opinion they are canon.

Analogically, I may not like the fact that Brannon Braga has declared Enterprise canon, but this is the fact - Enterprise is canon :/

Which is why it's so deliciously freeing--in an intellectual way, of course--to not give a rip about what is or is not "canon." You should try it sometime. It's like skinnydipping for the mind. [Smile]

Having said that, I will now earn the ire of the novel fans by saying I didn't like the Zahn novels very much. I found the plot rather silly and the new characters trite and shallow--especially Karrde and Mara Jade. The use of Earth names like "katana" also bothered me. I did like the use of stuff from the West End SWRPG, and the scene where an X-Wing with a damaged hyperdrive is stranded in the middle of nowhere--scifi seldom gets across the idea of how vast space really is. I'm also tickled by the idea of Leia with a lightsaber. But a few good bits don't make up for Force-repelling tree anemones or the Seven of Nine of the Star Wars universe.

Raising shields, [Smile]
Marian

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Every time I mention Star Wars I seem to get myself in a little argument. [Big Grin]

*Sigh* Oh well, I'll stick to wandering the halls of this forum. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little? You bursted into an irrational SW vs ST rant there, boy! Trust me, you do NOT want to start another one like that on canonicity, not with Kazeite around this time. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Which is why I'm skirting away from that issue...so history does not repeat itself.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps