Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Order 66-the end of the Jedi? $$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Order 66-the end of the Jedi? $$$
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yoda actually said "Begun, this clone war has." War is not plural, as it is later used by Leia and Obi-Wan. And when Yoda mentions it is appears to be more of a descriptive name than the proper name of the conflict.

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely have to rewatch "AotC" some day. I remembered Yoda using the "classic" plural, googled (actually, altavistaed) the phrase, and got 10,347 hits, and decided I must be remembering it right.

The singular is a bit better, yeah. It still means Yoda has mastered the Jedi art of stating the painfully obvious. Or did Yoda think the war would have been avoidable or abortable right until the moment when the first Republic cruisers took off, and thus wanted to demarcate the moment with this profound comment?

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a couple of things that bug me about the clones.

1. Were they really going to be for the republic? If so then why was the template Jango Fett and why did Dooku oversee their creation? Aren't they sepratists?

2. According to SW: The Essential Chronology, during the New Republic's war with Admiral Thrawn, the NR was shocked at the fact that his stormtroopers were clones. Considering Ep.III why was this discovery so shocking? The only explanation I can think of is that the number of clone troopers dwindled for some reason and the technology and know-how to make more was lost or destroyed, so the empire recruited normal people after that. Somehow Thrawn regained that knowledge, justifying the New Republic's shock?

Bah! and I thought Star Trek continuity was bad.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jango Fett was a freelancing mercenary working for Dooku, Dooku was working for Darth Sidious on the project of creating and motivating a "big bad enemy" that could justify creating a grand army of the Republic as a response, secretly slaved to the whims of Sidious.
Dooku had no real love or support for the separatist movement, they were just the bait (like Assaj Ventress was a spur for Anakin to move towards the Dark Side).

It's an age-old trick, like in "Wag the dog", you create a crisis or an enemy to distract people from real issues and control their opinion.

By the way, Jango Fett would probably qualify as the least politically engaged person in their galaxy. As for his template, it was purely for physical and mental reasons, he was a battle-hardened veteran trained in the mandalorian ways, with stamina and resolve to put him on the top of the food chain.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"According to SW: The Essential Chronology, during the New Republic's war with Admiral Thrawn, the NR was shocked at the fact that his stormtroopers were clones. Considering Ep.III why was this discovery so shocking? The only explanation I can think of is that the number of clone troopers dwindled for some reason and the technology and know-how to make more was lost or destroyed, so the empire recruited normal people after that."

The only explanation I can think of is that that book was written before episode III was, and now it's been made obsolete.

[ June 12, 2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, Clone Wars were a feature of the SW universe before the first Thrawn books were written - they were mentioned in ANH already. But it probably wasn't until the story pitching for AotC began in earnest that it was decided for good that there had been clone armies involved. Until then, we might have thought that Obi-Wan was a general in a war fought against a planet where mad scientists were only threatening to create (gasp!) clones of sentient beings. Or then we misheard, and the valiant fight was about ridding the galaxy of evil entertainers.

Personally, and not being a follower of the EU, I'd like to think that "Sifo Dyas" was merely an alias for Sidious, who'd been wearing several personae to slowly build his plan.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the pural "Clone Wars" relates to the fact that the war was fought on a great many fronts against more than just a single opponent.
Rather it was a series of wars, across hundreds or thousands of planets.
It's not a perfect answer, but then how often to commonly used terms go through a logic-checker? Still, it sort of makes sense.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, like World Wars II.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably more like (as someone mentioned somewhere recnetly) the French and Indian War(s). I've heard both terms used.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am just mirth-making.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also worth noting that Lucas specifically prohibited anyone from tackling the Clone Wars in novels because he knew they were important to the main story and wanted to do them himself (presumably). So Lucas knew they were more than just a throwaway line even early on.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gulf wars will be recognized as such from a sufficient historical vantage.
Timo
Member # 245

...At least until the Gulf of Mexico becomes theater for bloody combat, and somebody is forced to acknowledge that "Gulf" isn't the most geographically precise pointer imaginable.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone had their own little picture of what the Clone Wars could be, but I confess that I also had assumed the clones would be the filthy attackers, spawned by some evil faction, the soldiers perhaps having vials in their foreheads and tubes in their necks or something, but I think the final solution was a good compromise.

Timo: Is too.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps