Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$ Anakin's daddy? $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Anakin's daddy? $$
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why on. . . well, I guess Earth is inappropriate here; what's the basis for saying Grevious can use the force? There's nothing to suggest that.

Unless it is in some cartoon somewhere, or a comic book, or on the back of a branded vomit bag.

(There's an argument to be made that sequel/prequels constitute their own particular media experience, unified and indivisible. If I go see Action Film 1, I'm clearly in the market for the Action Film experience. That doesn't mean I'm going to be at all interested in consuming Action Film 1: The Kabuki. I might not like Kabuki, no matter how many of my favorite characters show up. Moreover, no, I don't like it when movies ((or novels, where this is far more prevalent)) do not function as complete stories on their own. The only person I know who did not like Batman Begins did not like it because he felt it was two hours of setup with no resolution. ((I disagreed.)))

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Some dude" who's particularly proficient with the Force, I should think. All the metal bits do is let him fight with four arms, or stick to magnets, or whatever. His ability to not be immediately destroyed when fighting a Jedi is, presumably, something he already had before he was cyborgified.

Actually he's completely incapable of using the force, his proficiency with the lightsabre is only because of his cyborg body. Given that there are many training droids with lightsabres in the EU material it's not so surprising that Grievous could wield 6 at once. Slightly silly when he floats about with them in his feet...

Oh and Mace Windu is the cause of his cough, in the second sries of CW he force-pushes Grievous armour plating into his internal organs severely damaging them; further this slows his movements and reactions explaining why he was so bitchified during his fight with Kenobi, with that information we can all fully enjoy his worthwhile and valuable contribution to the plot of Ep. III...

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Actually he's completely incapable of using the force, his proficiency with the lightsabre is only because of his cyborg body."

Was it actually established, either way?

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always under the impression that only Jedi could use lightsabers, cos they "...has the ability to see things before they happen. It's a Jedi trait." says Qui-Gon of young Anakin. So, with the 'ninjas-on-speed' approach Lucas has taken to lightsaber fighting in the new movies, wouldn't that ability be a pre-requisite?

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A powerful computer coupled to a competent sensor system should do the trick just as well, I think.

Also, it cannot be that actual lightsaber OPERATION would be a Jedi privilege, since we saw the heathen Solo activate and use Luke's saber in TESB.

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was truly a case of extreme circumstances. But I do nonetheless agree with your point.

BTW, when I said those script lines were from page 82 of The Making of ROTS, I meant to say page 42. Sorry.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie, Grevious says he's been trained in the in either the Jedi Arts or the Jedi Fighting... something. He's refering to the fact that Dooku trained him in lightsaber technique as seen in the Clone Wars cartoon. I don't think either the cartoon or the movie make it clear whether or not he has Force abilities or not, though.

He seems to rely on pure saber fighting, and doesn't throw people around using anything other than his arms and legs. This could be because the Jedi are blocking his attempts to use the Force against them in that way, much as they would with any other Force user, or it could be because he can't use the Force.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with the later option, you see in his backstory, he was just an ordinary guy fighting in a war between his race and some other race, the Jedi sided with the other race making the Kaleesh (Grievous' folks) rather angry, he was not a force user before his 'accident' at the hands of the Separatists and given Lucas' explanation that losing limbs lowered Anakin's force potential, I'd think losing every part of his body apart from the eyes, brain and internal organs would render Grievous pretty much useless with the force. Lightsabre technique could easily be picked up by an advanced mechanical creature, so why not a cyborg that's mostly robot anyways?

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marauth:
quote:
and given Lucas' explanation that losing limbs lowered Anakin's force potential
What's your source for this?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to note though, that even in the cartoon where Big G was a super psycho Jedi slaughtering machine, he was still no match for Dooku.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Marauth
Member # 1320

quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
What's your source for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker

Under the paragraph on 'Talents' the wikipedia doesn't usually just make stuff up out of thin air, especially things that could be easily refutted by speaking to the source of the info (Lucas in this case).

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Interesting to note though, that even in the cartoon where Big G was a super psycho Jedi slaughtering machine, he was still no match for Dooku.

Well, he said that Doou was the one who trained him, so that might make a measure of sense.

As for the loss limbs affecting force-potential, I too had this thought. It actually occurred to me just from having watched the films, although I get the impression that there are also EU materials supporting this as well. (The Visual Dictionary note regarding Vader's non-use of force lightning, mentioned in another thread, for one.) Nonetheless, Wikipedia is not a particularly solid source to cite.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes, it makes sense that he was no match for Dooku, but I guess my point was that as deadly as he was, there were still Jedi and Sith who could've taken him out, even before he was injured.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A powerful computer coupled to a competent sensor system should do the trick just as well, I think."

A computer with sensors could see something before it happens? Those are some damn fine sensors, sir.

And while turning on a ligtsaber and cutting things with it may not require the Force, I believe the point is that, in order to hold your own in an all-out lightsaber battle against a Jedi, you'll need a little more ability than Han exhibited against the dead taun-taun.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But just a little. I mean that was one mean bad ass dead taun-taun.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps