Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Impressions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Impressions
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First impressions:

The Stormtrooper made me think it's a gag- I actually thought of Tim Russ' famous "We aint found shit!" line from Spaceballs.
(yes, that Tim Russ)

The soccer ball droid is beyond idiotic.

The new X-Wings are nice, but not exactly a dramatic leap forward in design- I personally like how the wings open now- leaving the look of only a single wing when closed. I guess it chops the weight down, whatever that's worth in SW.

The Falcon scene was great- nice to see the horizon dip and spin as the camera stays with the ship (instead of vice-versa).
Nice rectangular radar dish now, after Lando lost the old one in RTOJ.

The Sith with the "claymore" might be a red herring- it would be great if he was facing Luke there and Luke easily dispatches him- right in the opening scene.

The whole "Force Awakens" thing might refer to a huge wave of force sensitive people popping up all at once.
OR it could mean exactly jack diddly- Abrams is hardly beyond jerking fans around.

The two annoying most things about this movie so far- neither Lando nor Wedge will be in it.
First non-Wedge SW movie and that makes me m/sad.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather have a stupid-looking trailer hiding a terrific movie than a trailer that looks cool because it takes things completely out of context to hide that the film it's promoting sucks.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I'd rather have a stupid-looking trailer hiding a terrific movie than a trailer that looks cool because it takes things completely out of context to hide that the film it's promoting sucks.

Sooo right- also, better by far a trailer that only gives glimpses than one that shows everything worth seeing in the movie!
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was just a teaser. I'm sure the actual trailer will spoil enough.

Falcon + Star Wars Theme = goose bumps.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god yes, they will undoubtedly follow "modern cinema" doctrine and follow this up with a humongous, gaudy two minute-forty seconds trailer, showing large chunks of all three movie acts, so you'll know exactly how the movie ends through plain conjecture, making movie-going families confident that they won't be surprised in any way. They fear surprises.

[ December 05, 2014, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Nim ]

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard an interesting fan theory that the Sith we see in the teaser is actually an older Sith from centuries past that was awakened (see what I did there?) for some reason or another. That would explain the antiquated design of the lightsaber w/crossguard and the raw, unrefined energy to it.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
I heard an interesting fan theory that the Sith we see in the teaser is actually an older Sith from centuries past that was awakened (see what I did there?) for some reason or another. That would explain the antiquated design of the lightsaber w/crossguard and the raw, unrefined energy to it.

Except that fan theory was already made (to some extent) in a big SW comics crossover.

...though it would actually make a kind of sense if there are various Sith in suspended animation somewhere- as a backup in case that whole "Rule of Two" thing backfires and both master and newbie get killed...or kill each other in an inevitible power struggle.

Really, that notion is the ONLY way the idiotic Rule of Two can work- if there is some secret base(s) with a repository of Sith knowledge and possibly some "keeper of the flame" type guy(s)to carry on in case of disaster.
Sorta a Sith version of Jocasta, but with more evil and less librarian.
It could be that Darth Bane made the Rule of Two, then stuck allllll the other Sith into the freezer (possibly including himself).

Or possibly there are artifacts of the Darkside which call to Force sensitives and contain (or possibly download) Sith knowledge and history to an new aspiring Sith Lord.
There must be some unknown mechanism as SW has no Internet,( as evidenced by Vader's never having found Luke via Facebook)for passing on evil knowledge.

Or the Sith in the trailer is a clone. (though "Sith in the trailer sounds like a Redneck Sith and that's frankly more than I can readily visualize).
PLEASE NOT A CLONE OF ANAKIN.
PLEASE.
Better by far that we see Sith Lord Jar-Jar Binks/ Darth Meesa than that.
Better that Anakin had a secret Evil(er) twin brother than it be a clone of Anakin.
Better that the Sith is Padme, having faked her own death, than it be a clone of Anakin.

(you get the idea)

On the other hand, the lightsaber design and " unrefined energy to it" might indicate a young Force sensitive that went Darkside with no Jedi/Sith training and just went with his saber construction on intuition or however the damn things get built.
He got it off Ikea.com, probably.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd they used a stormtrooper as the first thing in the teaser. I would have gone with the shot of the Millennium Falcon.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I didn't even recognize him from "Attack the Block", he looked so little "murdering street thug".
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Really, that notion is the ONLY way the idiotic Rule of Two can work- if there is some secret base(s) with a repository of Sith knowledge and possibly some "keeper of the flame" type guy(s)to carry on in case of disaster.
Sorta a Sith version of Jocasta, but with more evil and less librarian.
It could be that Darth Bane made the Rule of Two, then stuck allllll the other Sith into the freezer (possibly including himself).

I think you're taking it too literally: interpreting to mean that there are only ever TWO Sith, as opposed to just that the Sith are always working/collaborating in pairs, whereas the Jedi are not.

quote:
First non-Wedge SW movie and that makes me m/sad.
Well ... fourth, really.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifth, to be technically correct (the best kind of correct).
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I think you're taking it too literally: interpreting to mean that there are only ever TWO Sith, as opposed to just that the Sith are always working/collaborating in pairs, whereas the Jedi are not.

But, really, that has always been the classical interpretation of the Rule of Two; there's only ever a master and an apprentice. This was, supposedly, because a large group of Sith tend to fight each other for power.

That being said, there have been a few examples of their being more than one apprentice at a time, such as: Palpatine, Dooku, and Maul/Ventress/Opress; Palpatine, Vader, and Inquisitor; and if you follow the now non-canon EU, Palpatine, Vader, and various Emperor's Hands.

Even with these examples, the apprentices always seem to want to take on their own apprentices and overthrown their masters. Dooku was always scheming, Maul tried to take on Opress as a sort-of-apprentice to overthrow, well, everyone. And even just recently it seemed like the Inquisitor wanted to take Ezra on as an apprentice.

Actually, it seems like the Inquisitor is quite powerful in the Dark Side and is older, probably has been practicing for longer than the 15 years the Empire has been around so he was probably another apprentice of Palpatine during the Clone Wars.

Perhaps another explanation would be that there are only ever two Dark Lords of the Sith (Darths) at a time and the rest are Dark Jedi?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which comics crossover? Was it pre or post Disney acquisition and the Great Canon Scrub?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two notes:

1. Yes, weight is a significant concern on Star Wars vessels. They employ weight-saving materials like hydrofoamed permacrete and the ships have a total density less than that of water.

e.g.

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/02/permacrete.html

http://weblog.st-v-sw.net/2014/05/sinking-ships.html

2. The RotJ novelization is clear that the Empire died:

"The Empire is dead. Long live the Alliance."

Hopefully the movie will find a way to merely be contrary rather than completely contradictory, but it doesn't look it thus far.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
Which comics crossover? Was it pre or post Disney acquisition and the Great Canon Scrub?

It was called Vector and it ran through all the Dark Horse SW titles for a month- spanning thousands of years in the process.
The story was about Sith artifacts in a roundabout way- one of which was an "Obulette": kinda an indestructable and Force-proof coffin/stasis chamber.
Another artifact (the Muur Talisman) was a necklace which held the "ghost" of Sith lord Karness Muur that could allow the Sith's "ghost" (presumably a Sith the same trick Yoda and Obi-Wan managed upon death) to possess whoever wore the necklace. It's not really clear if the Talisman is a piece of exotic technology or "Sith Magic", but the Talisman also grants the wearer the ability to transmit the "Rackghoul Plague" to anyone nearby- turning them into monsters that the Talismann's wearer can mentally command as an unstoppable army.

In the story, a Jedi (Celeste Morne) gets possessed by the necklace artifact and struggles against the Sith possessing her (Karness Muur), eventually having Jedi Zayne Carrick stick her into the obulette, where she's preserved in stasis but awake, spiritually fighting Karness Muur for thousands of years until Darth Vader revives her (you need the Force to open the obulette and it had been buried in a nuclear bombing attack for most of the time prior).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Celeste_Morne

I brought it up because the obulette is just the sort of device the Sith could use as a failsafe, in case the whole "Rule Of Two" turned out to be as idiotic as it sounds.
It's also pretty hard to imagine Darth Bane deciding on this rule and the other Sith just going along with it and killing themselves. From a story perspective, I think it's sensible that the others went into stasis.

Consider that the Jedi thought the Sith all extinct- so either two Sith at a time were seriously not ambitious for several generations- or possibly Darth Plageus was a revived Sith- with knowledge from the dim past and an understanding of the Force lost to the Jedi.

Of course, it's Abrams at the helm, so I expect no explanation whatsoever in favor of explosions and lens flares.

But what the hell- the X-Wings look cool, so I'll see it. [Wink]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps