Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Awful....awful.. *$$$$$$$$hakes head*

Author Topic: Awful....awful.. *$$$$$$$$hakes head*
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$uper $poilers ahead, be warned.

OK everybody, I just saw a bootleg copy of that awful movie that is SW-Ep. I:TPM.

Er, I mean, I bought a plane ticket, flew to the US, saw the movie and returned home, of course. Nah, bootleg? Me? Not my style..

Anyway, this was the most incredibly awful letdown I've experienced ever since I was born (now that was a letdown) Mesa no lika disa movie.

To make for convenient reading I'll sum up this movie in plus and minus points.

Plus points:

+er.. Pretty good spec FX, some very convincing shots among those. Many computer effects look almost real, but these looked real real. First ever movie in which I see that. Good job ILM, you can't help it Lucas gave you such an awful movie to supply FX to.
+really nice and interesting looking ship designs
+Darth Maul was OK (his style, not his looks) and made for a good fight scene
+Jake Lloyd did a good job at acting for a kid. He hardly made me cringe, more than can be said from Anakin's friends.
+It had Sam Jackson in it, and he's the king of cool.
+the cool one-eyed droids at the pod race
+Jabba the Hutt looked like Jabba the Hutt for a change, see Special edition for what I mean.
+The little rodian kid is a nice touch
+The palace guard uniforms look star-wars-y
+The sound that pod racer makes when he crashes in the cave is cool.
+the lens flares look real for a change
+Natalie Portman isn't too bad to look at :]

Minus points:

-weak story that seems absolutely trivial compared to what ensues in the following movies. Do I have to care about a trade blockade in an unimportant system? Well I sure didn't, sorry.
-The way Palpatine became chancellor is so forced and unimpressive. This movie makes it look like it's unimportant and does away with it in a few lines. *very important minus point this*
-The action begins too fast. Way too fast. Within a few seconds, we have the first dialog. Within minutes, the first fight. Not what I have in mind as a good way to build tension and expectation.
-Jar Jar. He ruined whatever was left in this movie. I couldn't understand what he said half the time (mesa no good hearing) and Lucas thought, apparently, that it was a good thing to make him do something clumsy in every scene he's in. Like everyone who's clumsy is clumsy all the time.
UP YOUR ARSEHOLE LUCAS!
-The entire success of our heroes ('hem) is based on accident. Jar Jar shoots droids. Not because he's a good marksman, but because he got his foot stuck. The control ship is destroyed. Not because our people did such a good job, but because Anakin accidentally took off, miraculously, boarded the ship (by accident) fired torpedoes (by accident) and hit the main reactor (by accident). Jar Jar destroys a whole lot of tanks. Not because he fought hard, but because he releases those energy balls (by accident) which hit the tanks (by accident). Jar Jar kills the tank commander. Not because he deliberately hurt him, but because the grenade slipped from his hand (by accident). But what I wanted to say with this, the problem is: How am I EVER going to feel those people are great, are heroes, deserved it, if everything they achieved was by ACCIDENT??! It makes them anti-heroes, and I feel little compassion for those. A very unwise step, and one that made me appreciate those people even less.

These were the most important complaints, on to some still important, but not very plot-connected ones.

-The opening crawl didn't jitter :]
-The pod race announcer was badly designed, badly executed and talked in an awful American glamour show host way. His other head spoke jibberish that sounded most like what someone says when he wants to insult African tribal languages.
-Lucas can't direct.
-The editing is bad at times
-Liam Neeson underacted in numerous scenes
-As did Portman
-All the aliens (except the trade federation "Japanese" guys) look like they were made to appeal to children, exactly what was mostly avoided in the earlier movies. Also, none of the aliens talked normal English. Instead we get stereotyped over-the-top Japanese and Yiddish accents. Watto is especially bad, he even makes stupid sounds when he breathes. Boss Nass, I'm not even talking about him. Half the time he was just talking crazy and flinging spit at the main characters. Three year-olds loved it I guess.
The most intelligence-insulting character was that guy at the pod race who looked like Droopy. He was awful, I thought I was watching a children's programme. He should have been deleted at the first design stage. He made Watto look convincing, and that tells enough I think.
-the underwater scenes. They get bitten by a fish, then hey, coincidence, the fish gets eaten by another fish, then they are chased by yet another fish, run into yet another fish, which eats the other fish. And run into another fish coincidence huh? Jesus Christ. It was one of those scenes that was put in just to let our main characters in danger to "thrill" the audience, and it held up the movie. And didn't look good either.
-reoccurring lines as a running gag didn't quite work. "There's too many of them" "I have a bad feeling about this" I mean, yawn. Move on.
-Darth Maul looked like one of those kids at a country fair who had their face done. And those horns were kitsch. "oh, he looks like satan!!" Yawn.
-Yoda had completely different facial features, which are hard to explain through just aging (cosmetic surgery?) He was also very glossy compared to the other films. I did't feel it was Yoda.

I am let down. Not because the movie was hyped, but because it was genuinely bad. If this movie had come out of the blue I would still have the same opinion. I hope the cutesy overtone that ruined the suspense was just so Lucas could cash in real good so he can release the other two movies. And I'm looking forward to the nexxt movies. Not because this one was good, but because it was bad.

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, none of the aliens talked normal English. Instead we get stereotyped over-the-top Japanese and Yiddish accents. Watto is especially bad, he even makes stupid sounds when he breathes.

I'm not quite sure just who it was that made this point, it could very well have been someone on this forum, or maybe it was someone on one of my mailing lists, but that matters not. The point stands that it makes perfect sense for an alien to not be able to speak the standard "American English". Think about it...we don't even expect all of the inhabitants of Earth to have the same accents, why would you expect that of an alien??

As for Watto, have you never met one of those people who just breathes heavily? I had one of these persons cut my hair the week before last...it was quite the unpleasant experience. Maybe it takes more exertion that he shows to keep those wings flapping?

------------------
Maybe common sense isn't so common...

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can read an analysis of Watto and his wings. "Perhaps his body is not as solid as it seems; he could be hollow and full of hot, light gases. His round belly suggests this."

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

I'd say his round belly suggests a weakness for the demon rum.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it..........EXCEPT for Jar Jar Binks...*shudders!*

I hated him...

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The point is, it's great to see aliens speak with accents, but why do they have to be instantly recognisable as overblown versions of earth accents? BTW - what I said about the plot is much more important. It was weak.

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what earth accent did you think it was mimiking?? like i said, it doesn't sound like your typical ebonics or 'black jive' to me. sounded like something lucas had just made up.

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

RW
Member # 27

I was referring especially to the East-Asian accent of the trade federation guys. Agreed, Jar Jar just sounds like a freak.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jar Jar Binks speaks a pseudo Jamaican accent.
IP: Logged
RW
Member # 27

Hardly recognisable as such though.

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For real. He didn't have an accent that I could pinpoint to one specific group. I mean come ON! When you create a character, you have to use dialogue to characterize them. it gave him personality, just like Obi Wan's euro/british accent characterized him.

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree Trin, do agree RW, Jar Jar's speech was closer to that of a Teletubbie - now why didn't we seem them in the Galactic Senate!?!

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know we didn't?

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your minus points are on target. I agree with most of them.

Yet I liked the movie despite the annoying scenes and things. (Way to many fish-eat-fish world and accidental successes.) I had to see the movie a second time to see beyond the fast action pace and pay attention to the subtleness.

Not to forget, The Phantom Menace sets the foundation for the next movies, and the ones we already seen.

It could have been a little better. Where was the sexual situations, the adult language, and violence?

------------------
"Meesa love yousa long time."

Jar Jar Binks, Vietnam, 1967.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps