Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship construction times (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starship construction times
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering about this... how long would it take an advanced civilisation such as the Feds to completely assemble (from scratch) a, Galaxy? Probably, each ship is constructed entirely at one shipyard (i.e. so that all the parts are built and put together at one place). Almost 75% of any ship can be produced with industrial replicators, of course, but the remaining 25% resources have to be transported to those shipyards. I can't remember, but I read somewhere that during the Dom. War, the Feds were producing one ship each three days, so that would mean that an average starship can be manufactured in only three days (the morale of the workcrew would also be of influence)

NB I'm talking about CONSTRUCTION ONLY here, not the design stage (which presumably takes years)

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the ship is a prototype, it will take a long time to build...For example, the USS Intrepid NX...something...took like more than 12 years to build. If a ship is not the prototype, then it really depends on the size of the ship. For example, it only takes shipyards a few weeks to build a Defiant-class. I'm sure it will take at least a year to build a Galax or Nebula. It takes StarFleet only a week (don't quote me on this) to complete a runabout from scratch...

I remember that we had a few similair threads about this...I think they are now in the archive...

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

[This message has been edited by Saboc (edited November 27, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I read somewhere that during the Dom. War, the Feds were producing one ship each three days, so that would mean that an average starship can be manufactured in only three days"

The above statement is only true if there is only one starship being produced at a time, and if there is only one shipyard. The truth of the matter is that it takes somewhat longer to produce a single ship.

Assuming that starfleet has at least five shipyards, and that each shipyard has at least two ships in production simultaneously, it would be reasonable to assume that each shipyard (on average) required 30 days to produce a single ship.

The 30-days-per-ship rate of construction would vary depending upon several factors. If a critical non-replicable component did not arrive on schedule it could cause a delay in the ship's construction. If the construction crew had high morale or was highly motivated (and was well-rested, etc.) the construction time would be somewhat less.

It is reasonable to assume that smaller ships would require fewer resources and thus would be constructed somewhat faster than larger ships, but this is offset by the fact that there are nearly as many parts in a smaller ship as a larger one, so the number of assembly steps is only somewhat less than for a larger ship.

Three days to manufacture a ship? Well, operhaps a shuttlecraft or possibly a runabout, but only if all the parts are on hand to start with.

--Baloo

------------------
"It is required of every man," the Ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and travel far and wide; and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death. It is doomed to wander through the world -- oh, woe is me! -- and witness what it cannot share, but might have shared on earth, and turned to happiness!"
-- Jacob Marley's Ghost (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple weeks for a Defiant sounds utterly impossible, IMHO. That's like saying we can build a 4/5 story high building, about 170/120m long, and put all the highly advanced equipment like computer cores, warp cores, replicators, and endless wires in within a month. It's utterly impossible.

Now, take today's modern US Nimitz Class Carrier. Approximatly twice the length of the Defiant, it takes 4 years from the keel being layed to the ship being released from drydock. It then takes another year or two to complete all the details for her final commissioning. And with the most recent Nimitzes (sp?), like USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75 (commissioned June 1998), they actually built the ship in massive modules. Each module was prebuilt elsewhere and then attached to the existing hull, and so on.

Now, if you ask me, it takes at least 2 years to build a Defiant, and even then, it would take longer if it were from scratch.

As for construction yards works being high on morale, I doubt if that is possible during war time. The workers would be living in fear, because yards are prime targets, and they would be overworked to get ships out into the fleets, causing stress.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't they just replicate ships?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Anarchias de meizon ouk estin kakon." - Creon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and as for Federation Yards, we currently know of 8 (I think):

San Francisco (Earth)
Earth Station McKinley (Earth)
Spacedock 1 (Earth, according to DS9TM)
Copernicus (Luna)
Starbase 134 (Rigel VI, according to DS9TM)
Utopia Planitia (Mars)
Antares (Antares IV)
Beta Antares (Antares Sector)

Also, I would conjecture that each fleet yard is capable of working on 50 starships at any given time, with possible exception of Earth Station McKinley, which appears to only have 1 dock.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... The Antares Shipyard is in the Bajor Sector, which is definitely not where the star Antares is...

As for time to build a ship... Well, IMO, we don't know. Unless they specifically say on the show how long it takes, we have no way of accounting for factors that we may not even know about. Given the technology difference, I don't really think it can be compared to the construction of current warships.

I forget, how long did it take them to build that copy of the Defiant in the mirror universe? However long that was, we can assume it takes less time for SF to build one.

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Sir Camelot
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the TNG-tech mannul say that it took like 20 years to build the E-D?
IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how long it takes to build a starship, but here's some information about Liberty Ships. During World War II, 18 shipyards around the country delivered a total of 2,700 of the ships from 1941 to 1945. Each ship had 30,000 components and displaced about 10,000 tons.

This is from www.liberty-ship.com:
Once the production lines got under way, the time taken to build a Liberty at Fairfield Shipyard dropped to as little as 28 days. On the average, it took 592,000 man-hours to build a Liberty Ship. The construction of one Liberty ship required 3,425 tons of hull steel, 2,725 tons of plate, and 700 tons of shapes, which included 50,000 castings.
The Kaiser shipyard in Oakland, California, built the SS ROBERT E PEARY, from keel laying to launching, in 4 days 15 hours and 30 minutes. The PEARY was then outfitted, painted, taken on sea trials, the crew was trained and the vessel fully loaded with 10,000 tons of cargo. The PEARY sailed 7 days after the keel was laid.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've mentioned this before about the Bajor Yards/Antares Yards - I reckon that the Antares Yards - Bajor Sector - doesn't mean the Antares Yards IN the Bajor Sector - but that the Defiant was built/developed - first - after the Q Who Borg Panic - at the Antares Yards - and then - cause O'Brien did so much work on the Defiant to actually get it to be a fully functioning ship - that the Bajor Sector - read DS9 - was reckognised too...

Andrew

------------------
"What's an Oprah?" - Teal'c, Stargate-SG1

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that the dedication plaque would have been made before the ship ever went to DS9...

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mirror Defiant took 1 year to build. Smiley stole the plans from DS9 in "Through the Looking Glass" - 1 year before "Shattered Mirror".

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Liberty ships were a special case. They were designed to be quickly constructed (and quickly wear out). Instead of the time-consuming (but much, MUCH stronger) method of riveting the hull together, the Liberty ships were welded together. The liberty ships were designed to have a service life of no more than 10 years (piffle as far as modern seagoing vessels are concerned).

You'd think that welding would be more watertight than rivets, but apparently rivets hold the ship together better than welding. It was a trade-off that allowed a vast increase of available transport ships to be constructed in a minimum time. I suspect that much of Starfleet's additional ship construction was allocated to vessels that, like the Liberty ships, provided logistical support.

Throughout history, the ratio of actual fighting forces to the logistical support required for them to fight has been creeping towards a higher amount of support required for each unit that fights. If that trend continues into the future, I would expect that each fighting starship requires a very large number of noncombatant vessels and personnel to keep it in fighting shape. Such logistical support would probably include resupply vessels to provide the ships with replacement stores such as food, medicine, and possibly personnel, hospital ships, salvage and repair tenders, etc.

Some of the support vessels would be civil vessels that were subsidized by the Federation with the understanding that in wartime conditions, they would become support vessels for the war effort, much as many airliners are subsidized by the U.S. government with the agreement that in wartime, they will be subject to use as transports. The owners are compensated for their trouble, and the compensation is part of the agreement. It's sort of like being in the reserves, except airliners aren't required to do 2 weeks of Active Duty each summer .

The remaining logistic support vessels would be Starfleet vessels that had already been constructed, and would include vessels that were already in service, vessels that had been mothballed and returned to service, and vessels that were constructed specifically to support the present effort. This last group would probably have been designed to be quickly constructed and just as quickly recycled at the end of the emergency. After all, starships are made of valuably rare stuff.

--Baloo

------------------
"It is required of every man," the Ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellowmen, and travel far and wide; and if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death. It is doomed to wander through the world -- oh, woe is me! -- and witness what it cannot share, but might have shared on earth, and turned to happiness!"
-- Jacob Marley's Ghost (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right... I forgot that the Feds have more than 1 shipyard... that raises the average construction time of course. Still, I don't believe it takes that long to construct a Galaxy since the assumption is based upon modern-day aircraft carrier assembly time (a Nimitz-class carrier is about half the lenght of a Galaxy if I'm not mistaken). We do not have replicators and plasma-torches and all those other tools at our disposal.
As for each ship having the same components, this is only partially true: a Defiant-class warship doesn't need to have, say, exobiology laboratories onboard, while a Galaxy has much of its internal space dedicated to labs and the like. Also, the Defiant's engines aren't as massive as those of a Galaxy so they require far less resources to construct. I believe therefore that such a vessel can be completed within a month of all the materials (those which cannot be replicated) arriving (albeit at a push).

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are gonna kill me but I think the TNG tech man said that the ent d took 7 years to construct and launch. On the Ent e cutaway poster, I believe it gives a similar time frame putting construction start sometime during the early seasons of TNG. Of course the enterprises were made fairly early in their class' history, so maybe that timeframe has been cut down a little. I still can't imagine a Galaxy can be built in less than 4 years. Maybe three during war time. That could be why a bunch of Galaxy's popped up at the end of war.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps