Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship construction times (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starship construction times
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while the Galaxy project took decades to come to fruition, i can imagine other starships that are on their subsequent construction runs take much less time.. for example, im sure they have Mirandas down to a science by the time they were constructing the third series or so, and could maybe put one together in a year or two. If a new class is made from components that already exist (off-the-shelf) it probably even eliminates the wait for parts (for example, the first ship of the Shelley-class mightnt even had to wait long since they just had to take the commonly built Excelsior series aucer and retool it, rather than doing R&D on a new class that might take years to shake-down)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

grb2
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I dont know if anyone has mentionede this yet, but I learned in government class that ships which took 18 months to build before WW2 were built in two WEEKS during the war. The production levels and the amount of resources and workers that went into building those ships meant they could be built so much faster. So, I bet that it would take those years to build starfleet vessels before the war, but the times went down to just weeks for the duration of the war.

BTW, someone mentioned that "starship every three days" figure. That doesnt necessarily mean that a TOTAL complete ship was built in three days...the shipyard probably had many different ships in many different phases of consturction, and there would be one of those ships finishing the final stage of consturction every three days. That actual construction time for one ship, however, couldve taken much longer.

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that no one ever figured that out.

In war time, everything is accelerated, construction, enlistment, economy and so on.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
The Kaiser shipyard in Oakland, California, built the SS ROBERT E PEARY, from keel laying to launching, in 4 days 15 hours and 30 minutes. The PEARY was then outfitted, painted, taken on sea trials, the crew was trained and the vessel fully loaded with 10,000 tons of cargo. The PEARY sailed 7 days after the keel was laid.

Holy S***! [Eek!]

Wow.

But, just to bring this post on-topic . . . anyone able to make up a reason why Starfleet was evidently building entire Galaxy Class ships, as opposed to just building Stardrive sections and leaving the saucers for post-war? Granted, saucers give you space for troops, shuttles, and equipment, and those huge phaser arrays, but that's a whole-lotta-extra to build.

Maybe the GCS was used for ferrying fighters? [Confused]

[ April 14, 2002, 15:14: Message edited by: Guardian 2000 ]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly - we've proven that even unmodified, a GCS saucer can easily pack in 24 or more Peregrine-class fighters into the main shuttlebay. Furthermore, a saucer has two more phaser strips, two additional impulse drives, and the fusion generators to power it all. It'd make sense to send them in with the saucers and key systems, and simply leaving out all the superfluous stuff as Sternbach has proposed. Riker strongly suggests that the saucer impulse engines give the ship overall more maneuverability - and those GCS we see in DS9 and Voyager indeed have them lit up almost constantly. Looks like using them has become a standard practice, and may even be necessary for standard ship operations.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaiser applied mass-production methods to his shipyards. Subassemblies were build nearby, then lowered & welded into place, much like is done today. Furthermore, the use of welding instead of rivets was relatively new at the time & Kaiser was a pioneer in that regard. His yards worked 24/7 & he encouraged competition between yards.

And why do people assume starship yards don't work 24/7? I mean, take UP. It's orbiting a planet. Everyone's going to be awake at different times. It seems smarter to run continuously.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on logistics, is everything replicatable, as far as tools go?? Does the maintenance section have their nessecary allotment of raw materials to make what is needed, or their alloted power to run the replicators.....

They may run 24/7....

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What they can't replicate, they can build.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Riker strongly suggests that the saucer impulse engines give the ship overall more maneuverability - and those GCS we see in DS9 and Voyager indeed have them lit up almost constantly. Looks like using them has become a standard practice, and may even be necessary for standard ship operations.
Specifically, i remember the occasion Riker was concerned about separating the saucer for the loss of the fusion generator's output.. More likely than the maneuverability case, it seems possible the generators were always running, even while the engines were off.. they would supply normal power to the saucer's systems constantly, not just on the occasions where they actually fired up the engine ports..

[ April 14, 2002, 21:07: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Specifically, i remember the occasion Riker was concerned about separating the saucer for the loss of the fusion generator's output..

Other way around. BoBW, Riker wanted to separate the saucer section, Picard shot him down because he wanted to keep the extra fusion power.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Shelby wanted to seperate the saucer. Riker nixxed the plan because he felt that the power generated by the engines could augment their power supply in the coming Borg battle. Shelby told Riker to stroke off and went straight to Picard, who sided with Riker. Eventually, Riker did agree to seperate the saucer as part of a tactic to retreive Picard from the Borg cube.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, in BoBW the problem was Picard was trying to shoot Riker down, that is why Shelby was there.....
capped
Member # 709

umm...
Shelby told Riker to plan to separate the saucer.
Riker said no.
Shelby went to Picard.
Picard said no.
Picard then said they should consider it though, and made some comments about Riker's career, and Shelby's talent, blah-blah blah, yakkity schmackity.

Who's actually watched the episode recently??

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have. Sig's right.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in conclusion, it was decided that the saucer is better left on, then left off due to extra power. Though I am also surprised that the Glaxy class was not concieved to utilize those impulse engines in conjuction with the main engine to make the complete ship more manueverable. It had to be Riker who suggested it.

I wonder how much more manueverable the Galaxy class is with or without the use of the secondary impulse engines are.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps