Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Literary Question...

Author Topic: Literary Question...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my Library, and I got a bookmark that says: "If you like Tom Clancy, you'll enjoy: Dale Brown, Jack Higgens, Jow Weber, Stephen Coonts, Larry Bond."

I was wondering if the educated souls here could enlighten me as to what a bookmark that started "If you like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, you'll enjoy:..." would finish with?

In other words, what other authors are comparable to Doyle?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited January 10, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who wrote Timecop?

"He literally changed time!"

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I jsu can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would refer Arthur Conan Doyle to Jules Verne mabey. A modern Arthur might be Michael Crichton?

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

"A small penis is a clean penis"
-Matt Real World Hawaii

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Edgar Rice Burroghs. And if it be 19th century detective stories you're after, read "Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Poe.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well remember that ARthur conan doyle didn't just write Sherlock Holmes stories, he wrote a book called The Lost World about dinasaurs.

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

-Matt Real World Hawaii

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doyle also wrote supernatural stories, The stories of Brigadier Gerard, and The White Company. All of which he would rather have been remembered for than Holmes, believe it or not.

I only know this because Julia is a rabid Doyle fan.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Gepta001
Member # 231

what about H.G. Wells, or Arthur C. Clark, or Orson Scott Card?

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

-Matt Real World Hawaii

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually wanting lesser known authors, and if I didn't specify it at first, I was looking for the mystery genre.

But, I've come across many interesting articles on the internet, and I'll check them out soon.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Gepta001
Member # 231

mystery Genre then ok well I reccomend James Patterson, Along Came a Spider, Kiss the Girls, Jack and Jill, Cat and Mouse, and Pop Goes the Weasel, anything by David Baldacci but preferebly Absolute Power, mabey a John Grishim Novel (I actually haven't read him) or if you want funny mysteries then try out Douglas Adams Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

-Matt Real World Hawaii

Member # 239

James Patterson's pretty good, I think. I started one of his novels, but never finished it.

PS-This is going to sound really anal-retentive of me, but, Gepta001, 'Maybe' is spelled 'ye'.

------------------
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Gepta001
Member # 231

guess you can learn something new everyday, I wonder how long I've been misspelling that word on the forums.

-FTM

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

-Matt Real World Hawaii

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, you mean it's spelt "mabye"?

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Member # 239

Is that a joke?

I meant individual pronunciations of the Y and the E.

------------------

-Jack Handey

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Arthur Conan Doyle admit that he based Sherlock Holmes on Edgar Allen Poe's detective stories?

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Gepta001
Member # 231

I hadn't heard that, I don't think its true though.

------------------
funniest TV quote.....

-Matt Real World Hawaii

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps