Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Some people leave too soon...

Author Topic: Some people leave too soon...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got this via email. My sister sent it to me around noon.

quote:
DDunehew@URL_DELETED wrote:

Do you remember Jeff Owensby? He was Mark's best friend and the best man at our wedding. A great guy. Mom called me this morning to tell me that she saw in the paper that his older son, Kyle, who was only 17, had a massive coronary and died last Wednesday night when he was playing basketball with a couple of his buddies. He was a three sport athlete (wrestling, swimming, and football), an Eagle Scout and just a wonderful young man who loved kids and wanted to be an elementary school teacher. Such a sad, sad thing. The funeral is going to be in Sacramento this Wednesday night. I'm going to try to go with Mom. Will probably see some of the Van Buskirks there. Sometimes life just doesn't make sense.

I love you guys. Take care.

Love, me : - )

Gah! What can I say?

When I was just out of high school I worked my first "real" job as a fry cook at Kentucky Fried Chicken. One night we had a new guy show up, a new hire. We both liked motorcycles, science, technology, and had a similar sense of humor. We hit it off the very first night. We closed the store that night and when I said good-bye, I was already looking forward to working the next day with my new friend.

It never happened. When I came to work the following morning, I noticed he wasn't there. I asked if he was late. Someone said "Didn't you hear?" She explained that less than an hour after work he was struck by a drunk driver who ran a stoplight.

Some people just die too soon.

May God bless and comfort those left behind. I will include them in my prayers.

Don't leave the party before it's over if you can help it. Someone will miss you. [Yes, even you, DT!]

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 15, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies, Baloo. Although I'm not sure I believe you about Danny-boy.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just this past... August, I think, a guy at my high school (plus I went through grade school w/ his older sister) died of some sort of heart attack. He was sixteen. Apparently he had even just had some tests done a little before, and the doctors said he was alright. Kinda makes one wonder...

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my second greatest fear in life is having a heart attack, my first is going blind.

------------------
"I'm not feeling alright today, I'm not feeling that great"

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Very good post (and not just cause you mentioned me, and I'm not crying, it's just very warm here!!). I think far too many people forget this. I'm pretty obsessed with Sid Vicious, so I live as if I'm going out at 21 (those not familiar with the Sex Pistols, he was their bassplayer who OD'd at 21). If people were less sure that everyone was going to be here for 40 more years, maybe they'd realize that these petty things they feud over are just that, petty. In the grand scheme of things, who wants to waste literal years over something as stupid as, say, not going to someone's wedding.
True story. I have friends who I really ticked off one day. They both happened to be managers at the station I work out. I pissed them off good in what was a pretty serious debate over whether or not they should be paid. My sardonic comment at the end was taken highly insulting by one, who stormed out. Well, within two days we'd all talked it out and went right back to being friends.
Counter that. I know people who still won't talk to me (or will be amazingly not very nice) over something I don't even know I did. Some of this has been going on for months, some for three or even four years! (I would've been 13 back then!!)
Personally, I don't get it. People like that should be forced to talk to Baloo. He's the man! Err, bear.

Wanker: Yes, but I'll miss you Wanker. Afterall, who would teach me such beautiful english phrases like wanker if you were gone? I'd be completely lost during Red Dwarf episodes. "Rat-arsed? What's that? I don't get it!"

------------------
"She's just as bored as me." - Kurt Cobain
Polly, Nirvana

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condolences, Baloo.

It's nice to know some people are missed when they're gone. If I may be forgiven for relating an anecdote from my recent past:

I heard when I got back to uni this year that someone in my hall (whom I never met) had killed himself over the millennium break - deciding it was "the best time for it". Unnerving as this was, I was more distressed to learn this via eavesdropping a conversation between two people who HAD known him.
Their response to the news was
"Ha! YEah, I suppose it was a good time to kick the bucket."
"He was a bit glum anyway"
before moving on cheerily to the next topic of conversation.

I've always held my hallmates in low esteem, but this was simply disgusting.

------------------
"I cannot live out that life.
That man is bereft of passion... and imagination!
That is not who I am!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just evil.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh yes, isn't that the reason you'd commit suicide, though? When nobody cares that you did it, that meant it was probably a good idea.

------------------
"She's just as bored as me." - Kurt Cobain
Polly, Nirvana

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. It just means that there are two people walking around who are worth about as much alive as the suicide is dead.

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps