Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Advantages of pets...

Author Topic: Advantages of pets...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "My cousin sent me this (Part V)" the subject has turned to the relative merits of dogs and cats. I thought I'd post at least one advantage, and invite others to post some other advantages also.

There are only two rules:

1. Dogs and cats ONLY.
  2. Advantages ONLY.

Remember! This is an exhibition, not a competition. No betting please.

One advantage to dogs:

They are better suited to helping keep your crumbsnatchers out of traffic. We live on a street with very little traffic, but don't want to encourage our boy to play in the street anyway. At 20 months, he just wouldn't comprehend that an approaching car isn't his friend come to greet him.

The other day Wife and I were out in the front yard "evicting" weeds. Son was out there with us, as well. Buster (the dog) was in the yard with us. For those of you interested, I think Buster is a fox terrier (or something close by it).

Several times Son made a dash for the street, and every time Buster intercepted him and herded him back. We did not train the dog to do this. I believe he has observed for himself how dangerous traffic can be (he was a stray when we "adopted" him), and decided from Son's behavior that he (Son) was unaware of this.

In any case, this so impressed Wife that she is willing to let the dog inside the house once he's "dipped" and vaccinated. Suits me fine.

--Baloo

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 25, 1999.]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advantage to cats:

My cat Pepper, believe it or not, is smart enough to find socks.
No, seriously.
One night we were sitting in the living room, when he brought me a sock out of nowhere, and presented it much like he would present a mouse to me with pride. Needless to say this came as a bit of a surprise. I took the sock from him and said "Okay, so where's the other one?". 5 minutes later he brought me the pair to the sock.
Finding pairs to socks is a skill that me, and my two younger sisters, have yet to develop. How my CAT can do this, I will never know. But it's become a very usefull skill.

------------------
"Telling the truth was his death sentence" - Maria Theresa Tula

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a dog McGruff, he was a nice dog, always playful, but when our grandmother got sick and kept going into the hospital, he would frequently mess on the carpet, without even making it known he wanted to go out. It got so bad we had to give him away.

Our cats has yet to do such a thing.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Raven: Read rule #2.

How is the dog messing the carpet an advantage?

I put the rules up for this thread so it will not become a "Cats Rule, Dogs Suck" or "Dogs Rule, Cats Suck" type of thread.

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 25, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I offer a joke...

"Wow! These people feed me, love me, give me a good home, and play with me! They must be gods!" -- a dog.

"Wow! These people feed me, love me, give me a good home, and play with me! I must be a god!" -- a cat.

I have a cat at home named Yellow. She's the sweetest thing and misses me a lot while I'm at school. Whenever I'm down, she'll jump in my lap and remind that if no one else loves me, she does.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

THE advantage of cats: you can leave them alone for a while provided you gave them some food. Hey, maybe they don't need the food either; they can hunt for themselves (except for old cats, like xour oldest, who is slow, half blind and lazy). Anyway, try to leave a dog alone for a few days.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to point out that the cat has that advantage. Cats don't mess on the carpet to the extent of dogs.

Oh pleh, forget it.

------------------

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sorry, my fault..

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advantage of Cats: I have never been kept awake by a buzzing insect since I got my cats. They will climb furniture, jump many times their own height, and cause a great deal of destruction until the bug is vanquished.
IP: Logged
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Simon, that reminds me of something. My dad just got back work from the nightshift, and he was chasing down a wasp that was flying around...

He saw it go into the back room, and when he got there, no wasp...until he looked down and saw the cat, who was going "Crunch crunch".

THAT was priceless.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some previous cats I had had the same reaction to cicadas (locusts, for you people who still don't realize that locusts are GRASSHOPPERS, NOT those things that make lots of noise in the trees, which are cicadas). They LOVED eating them.
And now we're due for another infestation this summer... and I own a tom that can jump 5 feet straight up in the air... this should be fun.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps