Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Strange, but not very so...

Author Topic: Strange, but not very so...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past, every once in a while, when I would post a response to a thread, I could not see the response I posted until several hours later. Every time this happenned, it turned out that there was a caching (dis-)service between my ISP and the rest of the web.

Lately, I've been seeing the following with a twist:

Whenever I reply to a thread, I can't see my reply until I've done a <Ctrl>-reload. Can anyone explain why this happens? It's not as annoying as the upstream cache that updates only once in 24 hours, but it wasn't happening at all until a few days ago. What gives?

Please be as technical as you want. If I don't understand, I'm not afraid to ask questions.

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 02, 2000).]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rapidly becoming familiar with caching proxies. My ISP just implemented one...

Control Refresh (Shift Refresh on Netscape) clears the document and all objects within it (images, etc), then tells the cache server to pull down the document (and all the objects within it) from the net again.

Of course, all GOOD proxies are supposed to obey the no-cache pragma that is in place here...

Mine doesn't often, and yours does sometimes.

Flare2 will include improved anti-cache measures for pages (and improved pro-cache measures for images).

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

At least this particular glitch isn't as frustrating as the former ones.

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps