Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Charles Schulz- Rest in Peace

Author Topic: Charles Schulz- Rest in Peace
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles Schulz died in his sleep sometime yesterday.

*drops head in silence*

Nice knowin ya, Chuck......

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Sigh*

Damn. This is the second time in my life that the passing of a stranger has affected me so (the first time was when Roy Rogers died). Peanuts was the first comic strip I ever tried to read faithfully. Like so many others, I identified with the little round-headed kid who did not always succeed, but bore his fate with a dignity that those around him could neither see nor appreciate.

I remember when Snoopy flew his first "missions" against the Red Baron and delighted in all his strange, surreal adventures. I sympathized when Linus would not let go of his security blanket, and laughed at Pigpen, the perpetually filthy boy who could get dirty by just standing in place.

Charles Schulz illuminated the importance and dignity of the ordinary person. Although I never met him, he became an important part of my life, and I, along with so many others, will miss him deeply.

Good-bye, "Sparky"!

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Don't know hao to respond yet.. give me a few days....

------------------
I'm the Worlds First Fully Functional Homicidal Artist.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*SIGH*

Or, as C.B. might have said, "Rats."

I had been holding out hope that he might get better and start up again, since he loved doing it so much.

There's something truly... odd, about this, though. The "farewell" cartoon, announcing his retirement and the end of the strip, hit the paper Sunday morning.

It's almost as if it was planned that way. (not that I'm suggesting a conspiracy. It's just oddly poetic.)

I, too, identified with the Peanuts gang. When I was young, asked to describe myself, I said "cross Linus's smarts with Snoopy's imagination and add in Charlie Brown's luck and personality, and you've got it."

Of all the comic strips I've ever loved, I loved this one the best.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid Beagle!!

Be watching the comics in May. One day will be just for CB tributes. It was planned in secret, so that Shultz would open the paper and see it and be surprised, but they announced it after he died.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sad*

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps