Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Your opinion is much needed... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your opinion is much needed...
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's near voting time in California, and my Government teacher gave us this nice little project where we have to survey 200 people for their opinions on some propositions. I'd appreciate a lot if you guys can answer some questions for me.

Demographics--
Health Services
Management
Mechanical/Technical
Professional
Student
Other _______________
Ethnicity:
Household Income:
$10,000 or less
$10,000-$20,000
$20,000-$30,000
$30,000-$40,000
$40,000-$50,000
$60,000 +

Do you own a car?

Questions:
1) If I got into a car accident and the other person is at fault, I want the right to sue that person�s insurance company if they don�t pay my medical bills. (yes/no)

2) I would give up the ability to sue an insurance company if it keeps insurance rates down.
(yes/no)

3) How long do you think insurance companies should have to settle a claim?
30 days
90 days
6 months
1 year

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not settle a claim within a
pre-determined time period?
(yes/no)

5) Do you think an uninsured motorist should have the right to sue in an accident if damages are incurred at the time?
(yes/no)

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party.
Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote:
(yes/no)

7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain circumstances.
Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I would vote:
(yes/no)

Comments: (if you have any)

Thanks a lot.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demographics--
Student
Ethnicity: American/USA
Household Income:
$60,000 +

Do you own a car?
In the most broadly defined use of the term "car," yes.

Questions:
1) If I got into a car accident and the other person is at fault, I want the right to sue that person�s insurance company if they don�t pay my medical bills.
Yes.

2) I would give up the ability to sue an insurance company if it keeps insurance rates down.
No.

90 days

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not settle a claim within a pre-determined time period?
Yes.

5) Do you think an uninsured motorist should have the right to sue in an accident if damages are incurred at the time?
Yes.

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party. Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote:
Yes.

7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain circumstances. Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I would vote:
No.

I like surveys!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demographics--
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Household Income: $10,000 or less
Do you own a car? Yes

Questions:
1) If I got into a car accident and the other person is at fault, I want the right to sue that person�s insurance company if they don�t pay my medical bills. Yes.

2) I would give up the ability to sue an insurance company if it keeps insurance rates down. No

3) How long do you think insurance companies should have to settle a claim? 90 days

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not settle a claim within a pre-determined time period? Yes

5) Do you think an uninsured motorist should have the right to sue in an accident if damages are incurred at the time? Yes.

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party. Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote: Yes.

7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain circumstances. Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I would vote: Yes.

Comments: What are the specific limitations mentioned in Prop. 31?

------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Household Income: $60k+
I do not own a car.
1) Yes
2) No
3) 30 days (if not sooner)
4) Yes
5) No
6) Yes
7) Yes

I've done research on 30 and 31... Despite the FUD spread by the insurance companies, I'm voting yes.

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: white
Household Income: Uhh... I honestly don't know.

Do you own a car?
Well, technically, my parents do. But we've got one that's mainly for me, so I suppose you can decide if that qualifies as a "yes" or "no".

1) If I got into a car accident and the other person is at fault, I want the right to sue that person�s insurance company if they don�t pay my medical bills.

Well, yeah. Otherwise, I'd be rather screwed, eh?

Not that the two should really have anything to do w/ each other, but, no, I wouldn't.

Well, a month would be nice, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, assume that they're busier than I would guess, and say 90 days.

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not settle a claim within a pre-determined time period?

Of course. Otherwise, what incentive do they have to pay up at all?

Well, what were they doing driving w/o insurance to begin with?! I'm tempted to say "no on the grounds that they're an idiot", but I don't know precisely how the insurance racket works, so I might be missing something. If someone could fully explain the situation presented in this question, I might be able to formulate an answer.

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party. Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote:

Huh? Can you run that by again in normal language? For one thing, what are "unfair claims settlement practices"? And, if there has already been "judgement or award against other person", why would you need to sue? Is this suggesting that the other person's insurance didn't pay up, or what?

7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain circumstances. Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I would vote:

Uh... Is this some sort of antithesis to the other proposition? Or am I just totally confused?

Comments: I'm glad I don't work in the insurance business...

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demographics--
Ethnicity: Chinese American
Household Income: certainly less than 10 grand 'cause I don't work!
Do you own a car? unfortunately...no

Questions:
1) If I got into a car accident and the other person is at fault, I want the
right to sue that person�s insurance company if they don�t pay my medical
bills. (yes/no)

Hell yes!

2) I would give up the ability to sue an insurance company if it keeps
insurance rates down.
(yes/no)

Don't know...maybe yes.

3) How long do you think insurance companies should have to settle a
claim?

30 days
90 days
preferably 60 days

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not
settle a claim within a pre-determined time period?
(yes/no)

yes

5) Do you think an uninsured motorist should have the right to sue in an
accident if damages are incurred at the time?
(yes/no)

NO! Should not even be driving in the first place!

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring
right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party.
Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue,
potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote:
(yes/no)

To hell with all the formatting...I vote No
7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory
amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for
unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain
circumstances.
Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if
Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not
significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I
would vote:
(yes/no)
Yes

None

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: Euromutt
Household Income: $10,000-$20,000
Do you own a car? Yes

Questions:
1)Yes
2)No
3)90 days
4)Yes
5)No
6)Yes
7)No

Comments: Today, I am wearing blue. (nobody said it had to be a RELEVANT comment)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(You probably can't count me because of my nationality, but I enjoy surveys. )

Demographics--
Ethnicity: Canadian, if that's what you mean (Caucasian otherwise)
Household Income: No clue.

Do you own a car? Not me, no. But there's one owned by my parents that is... uh, "designated" for me.

Questions:
Yes.

Probably not.

90 days.

Oh, yes.

Well, if they're uninsured, that's their problem. No.

Yes.

Dunno.

Comments: Fun. Yes.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: Goddamnit, would you just give a yes or no on those last three?

I just need 12 more to meet my quota...

By the way, I don't care if you don't live in the U.S. This isn't a scientific poll to begin with.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited February 18, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal: I'd love to, but, as I pointed out, I don't fully understand the questions...

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: Euromutt (that seems to fit me too, thanks First)
Household Income: $20,000-$30,000
Do you own a car? Yes

Questions:
1) Yes
2) No
3) No set legislated period. That's why we have the right to sue.
4) No. See above about the right to sue.
5) Yes
6) Yes
7) No

Comments: May the California initiative system die a horrid slow death.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demographics--
Student/Part-time data inputter
Ethnicity: Caucassian/English
Household Income:
(I live in a student house, so we're not talking much here, and it's in �'s remember...)
Counting loans: �10,000-�20,000.
Not Counting loans: � -�10,000

Do you own a car?
Yes.

Questions:
Yes.

No.

6 months

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No.

I agree with TSN. What the flipping bejesums are 6 and 7 about? Or are we suppossed to be so drowned in legal flibble that we just pick whatever box is the nicest colour?

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demographics--
Ethnicity: Filipino
Household Income:
$40,000-$50,000

Do you own a car?
In Los Angeles you'll need one, so yes

Questions:
yes

no

30 days

4) Do you think insurance companies should be penalized if they do not settle a claim within a
pre-determined time period?
yes

no, only when hell freezes over!!!

6) Prop. 30: �Yes� vote approves, �No� vote rejects legislation restoring right to sue another person�s insurer for unfair claims settlement practices following judgement or award against other person; barring lawsuit if insurer agrees to arbitrate original claim against insured party.
Fiscal Impact: Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year. Unknown net impact on state court costs. I would vote:
no

7) Prop. 31: A �Yes� vote approves, a �No� vote rejects statutory amendments limiting right of injured party to sue another�s insurer for unfair claims practices and exempting specified insurers under certain circumstances.
Fiscal Impact: This proposition would have a fiscal impact only if Proposition 30 is approved. In this case, the proposition would not significantly affect the state and local fiscal impacts of Proposition 30. I would vote:
no

Okay Tora, have you heard about Prop. 22? What is that all about?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: Chinese-Canadian
Household Income: Parents probably make a combined $100K. My personal income is around $10K.
Do I own a car: Only When Pigs Fly.

Questions:
1) Definitely Yes
2) Nope. Keeping rates down is beside the point.
3) 90 days seems accurate.
4) Yes. But within reason.
5) No. Up here, it IS illegal to drive without insurance. Driving without insurance should effectively remove their rights to claim damages from an accident.
6) Yes. Rates won't go up if the Insurance companies clean up their act.
7) Yes. But depends on what the special circumstances are.......

Comments: This is Canada so the insurance system up here may not be the same as in down there.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnicity: Kashmiri/Muslim
Household Income: Probably �0 - �10,000 p.a with loans and grants.

Do I own a car: Alas, no.

1) Yes
2) No
3) 90 days
4) If they can't provide a suitable reason, then yes, otherwise no.
5) No
6) No
7) Just for the sake of answering, No. However, I don't fully understand the question.

Other comments: Part of my job involves insurance claims. Make of that what you will.

Secondly, questions 6 and 7 are very confusing. I managed to get No 6, but 7 went straight over my head.

------------------
Democracy simply means the bludgeoning of the people, by the people and for the people.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps