Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Name that Song!

Author Topic: Name that Song!
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really a competition, but any help would be nice.

Only 76k!

Well, it seems that Crosswinds now xooms out files...let's see what my fortunecities account does...

------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited February 17, 2000).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHH!
Now I'll be plauged by that all day.

I'm thinking;
something off the Blues Brothers
The Doors
an advertisement of some sort
Van Morrison

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song is "On The Road Again" by Canned Heat. Or at least a cover thereof. Which as I recall is featured in that less than calssic movie Roadhouse.

You can listen to a snippet and maybe even buy the album on Amazon

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone identify the cover artist? When I search for the song, I get WIllie nelson's song as well as the people who covered that song...

------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Perhaps the files have gotten crossed or something... But, all I'm getting is the very beginning of "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MG's.

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating. I'm not sure who came first but I'd bet that Booker T had the tune first and that Canned Heat put lyrics to it. The tune is the same for both songs.
I would suspect that Canned Heat did the cover of Booker T's song as that "Green Onions" appears on the Best Of Booker T. & The MG's (Rhino) with a 1968 release date.

Well done TSN.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Thanks guys! You've made my day.

------------------
Woody Allen

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, "Green Onions" was orignally released in 1962. "On the Road Again" was from 1969. I found it listed as being by Jones and Wilson. Wilson is the guy from Canned Heat, so Jones is probably Booker T. Jones. I've never actually heard "On the Road Again", but this leads me to believe that you're probably right about its using the music from "Green Onions" (which was merely instrumental to begin with).

And, unless CH actually used the original recording of "Green Onions", I would say that the WAV file there is it, and not "On the Road Again".

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps