Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hell

Author Topic: Hell
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm doing an english isu on hell aka any negative afterlife. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on sources. So far I have Dante, Milton, (both annotated of course), an illustrated guide, and a few other miscallaneous sources.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
(Btw, it would help if I could get sources on afterlifes other than the Judeo-Christian one as well)

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... The Egyptian "Book of the Dead", maybe? Though I don't know what, if anything, it says about the afterlife's being negative. I don't think they really had a "hell"...

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited March 04, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of religions have no Hell. There's Greko-Roman, but that's all I can think of. Most religions believe that you simply cease to exist, or are reincarnated. Anyone know what happens to you in Hindu beliefs if you get reincarnated down too many times?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite sites, and one you may find quite useful, is the Encyclopedia Mythica. There's information on just about every religious tradition there. Hope that helps.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barlowe's "Inferno", an art book available at a decent SF bookstore and/or Barnes and Noble.

Neil Gaiman's "A Season of Mists" Sandman comic collection/graphic novel.

Niven/Pournelle's "Inferno", an 'update' on Dante's, as seen thru a SF writer's eyes.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose you could use Voy's "Barge of the Dead"? Just a thought.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well....its a "literature" isu. I did find a Star Trek comic book incorporating Dante's Inferno though

Anyways, some of these are good suggestions, I'll try looking for them. Thanks

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhpas you should mention something about hell's being exothermic, rather than endothermic. :-)

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear that the UNannotated version of Odysseus gives many clues into Hades, the Greek form of afterlife, as well. :-)

------------------
"You say don't fear your dreams, it's easier than it seems.
You say you'd never let me fall, from hopes so high.
But never is a promise, and you can't afford to lie." - Fiona Apple

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps