Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What the danger of building a gas station next to a runway

Author Topic: What the danger of building a gas station next to a runway
Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just watching this on Fox, Channel 11 here in Los Angeles. A Boeing 737 Southwest Airlines jet landed hard at Burbank Airport and somewhat missed the runway. The plane ended up at a Cheveron gas station and on top of several cars. Now why would someone build a gas station next to a runway? I don't get it, unless the owner expected planes to go there for bathroom breaks...

------------------
"Life is like a dick, sometimes you just wanna f**k it"
-Yun Zhu
USS Vanderbilt NCC-73121, Vanderbilt Class Starship

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, presumably, the owner also didn't expect a plane to land anywhere besides the runway.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's what we like to call urban sprawl here in LA. When the airport was built, it was in the middle of a general nowhere. And now it's surrounded by gas stations and houses.

Ontario is the same way...and goodness knows there is little tolerance for error around John Wayne airport.

------------------
Let's see... Mesmerists, Dowsers, Luddites, Alienists, Zoroastrians, Alphabetizers... A-ha! Assassins...
~C. Montgomery Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Moose Jaw! If you crash a plane at our 'airport' (semi-military base), the worst you can do is hit a moose.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Moose Jaw even has their own web site

There's progress for ya.

------------------
Let's see... Mesmerists, Dowsers, Luddites, Alienists, Zoroastrians, Alphabetizers... A-ha! Assassins...
~C. Montgomery Burns

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see anything about the airport, but the FAQ were funny.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think having a gas station next to an airport is bad enough, try New York City. There's La Guardia, JFK, and Newark, all within close proximity of each other. Most of these airports are surrounded by residential space, crowded highways, AND gas stations.

If anyone has ever flown to Hong Kong before the new airport opened, you would have noticed how close planes get to adjacent apartment buildings on approach to the old airport. Pilots would regularly call that run a real challenge. One false move and you could either be hurtling towards an apartment skyscraper, or towards the water that surrounds the runway.

Trust me. I've been there.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe... In Saint John, building something new takes about 20 years of talking.... Go Saint John!

------------------
"Yes. I have seventeen brains! And eleven legs. And a pecan."
-Frank Gerratana, March 3, 2000

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps