Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Horrors of a Digital Watch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Horrors of a Digital Watch
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend gave me a very nice Timex digital watch for our 2nd year anniversary. She was worrying that the watch was non-Y2K compliant which I thought was total hogwash (such a device never keeps track of the year).

What I forgot was that almost all digital watches are non-leap-year compliant. I just found that out this morning.

As I am writing this, it is the 6th of March. But according to my watch, it is the 7th. I did the incredibly stupid thing today (and last week) by putting the incorrect dates on my correspondence (by looking at my watch), forms, and the whatnot. Boy am I in deep trouble today!!!!!

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My watch is totally compliant.

And it tells me when the sun rises and sets too!
So, 8P

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the smae problem w/ my watch. But it only took me until March 2 to figure it out. Or the third, if you believe the watch. :-)

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume everyone knows this, but you can just reset the day. Actually, most watches will let you set the day to February 29, also.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I had to manually reset my new(er) watch, but my aincent watch saw the date just fine...

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an anolog watch.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Mine obviously didn't

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, on February 29, you could have just set it back to the 28th, so future dates would work properly.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my page it's Feb. 25.... and no, I didn't set it off like that... for some reason it takes 3 days to change one day... that clock works fine, just not the date... hmm.....

Anyway, all the more reason to get a new pager though! Right? Thought so!

~LOA

------------------
No, you CAN'T see my picture!

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Here is a list of stupid things that I did by putting in the wrong date:

- Put my timesheet to Human resources dated March 5. That was a Sunday. The time sheets are supposed to be dated on Saturday. Lots of confused faces abound....
- Placed an request for a bunch of files with the date of March 4, which of course, is a Saturday. I filled out the form on Friday, and there are a lot of slightly peeved people down at archives.......
- Rushed on finishing a report Due the 3rd of March. That's a Friday, but according to my watch, it was a Thursday (Well, it wasn't exactly due, just the draft of the report, but all that rushing for nothing).
- Configured a co-worker's computer with the wrong date (now that's a no-no. Fortunately, he fixed it himself).

Oh boy........ *puff*

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I had a watch for years that kept the date just fine. Then it got dropped out a second-floor (Brits read this "first-floor") window onto a cement patio and it didn't work too well afterward. My new one has this date problem. Why is that?

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
-The Simpsons

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't wear a watch. I find it limiting.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with First. I hate the way a watch keeps me from expanding the girth of my wrist whenever I feel the need to do so.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True.

Still, all this way into a thread on digital watches and not one Douglas Adams quote.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Er... Uh... "Don't Panic." How's that?

------------------
-The Simpsons

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps