Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ship Images and Copyright (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ship Images and Copyright
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they have also taken a few images from my site. Maybe those people actually think that my Enclopedia-like images are actually done by Doug Drexler?

Laz: Unfortunately there are far too many sites one the web that already use your images. When I was new to the web four years ago, I found them virtually everywhere, and, naive as I was in those days, I thought they were sort of "Freeware". Quite the opposite applies to Jim Stevenson's SSD. Everyone knows the images are from his site, although he did only a small part of them himself. So he mostly gets credit.

I guess if you kindly remind people of giving you credit, they will do so in 80% of all cases. I have only one very bad experience with a guy who copied my whole starship list, pretending that it was "Paramount copyright", and stuff from three other websites likewise. When I reminded him again (the third time) and told the other webmasters, he started uttering mean insults against me...

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SOTF webmaster has replied to my email and agreed to provide credit and a link, so that situation has been resolved. I do wish, however, that people would read the copyright notice on my site and ask permission before using images, eliminating the need to have to email them after the fact and straighten things out.

As for Jim's SSD site, I noticed that someone submitted many of my designs for conjectural starships, using images from my site that have been cropped and converted to black-and-white. I've emailed Jim and asked him to identify the Starship Encyclopedia as the source of these designs instead of the name of the person who submitted them.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps