Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Where am I? (Or rather, where WAS I?)

Author Topic: Where am I? (Or rather, where WAS I?)
Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm sure that this should go in the contest forum, but after seeing a topic of the same name, I thought I would place it here. After the name of the city is guessed correctly, I will tell you all about my trip...

...And one heck of a story it is. Here goes the question:

The city is the capital of the state of Nebraska, and is named after a former US President.
Where was I?

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NCC-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lincoln, of course.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,

Correct! I went down there because I'm on my local state Senator's youth advisory council. One of the places we got to tour was the Nebraska State Penitentiary.

I think everyone in the group would agree that it was the highlight of the trip. The funny thing about it, some of the inmates made some 'interesting' remarks about some of the girls in our group (at least I hope it was the girls) while we were walking through the yard to the license plate shop.

Another interesting thing was our opportunity to speak with an inmate. A soft spoken man, he was in for felony murder (death that occurs during the commission of a felony). I remember him saying that he wishes he made better choices in life.

The grand finally, we got to see Death Row and the electric chair (Nebraska is one of two states that still use it, but is currently working on changing to leathal injection). The chair was......interesting to see to say the least.

------------------

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds lovely.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think death penalty isn't such a good idea.

It's far worse to spend the rest of your life in prison. I mean, with death penalty, you just get killed, and that's it, you're finished.

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Enterprise
Member # 48

Prakesh,

While I understand your views, I would appreciate this conversation about my trip to not turn into a political discussion.

------------------

-- Worf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hard to mention the words "electric chair" without eliciting a response from someone.

BTW, the clue was too easy. Even your resident Cardassian-Canadian got it.

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited March 26, 2000).]

Enterprise
Member # 48

Plain and Simple Garak,

I know, but I just wanted to comment on the fact that I saw the chair on the tour.

Cardassian with the golden gun, ehh? If I send you an application to work for my organization, would you fill it out? You would fit in well working in the Intelligence Division.

------------------

-- Worf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but my KGB friends wouldn't take too kindly to my defecting to Enterprise Intelligence.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does a tailor know about intelligence anyways?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Enterprise
Member # 48

Well, my uniform does need to have the seem redone....
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys (no offence to the female readers, of course ), I just couldn't help myself.

So, were there any signs saying "Do Not Free The Inmates"?

Hello, fellow-Cardassian! (Yes, Prakesh is Cardassian as well, 'though it sounds Sanskrit)
------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited March 27, 2000).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

The Prakesh was Gul Dukat's ship in "The Way of the Warrior", wasn't it...?

I'm sorry, but I do know nothing about intelligence. How my mind slips...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps