Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Very weird question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Very weird question
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article a few days ago about a way to detect them indirectly, but it only works if they act in a very specific manner.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Crichton's book Timeline used the multiverse concept. He deals with some of the 'what ifs' in it, but he kinda makes a little of it up too. But it's all based on solid physics.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other universes could exist, but time and space are a property of the universe/universes itself/themselves, so whatever is between them is undefinable in our terms, so in effect, if there are other universes, they are infinitely separated in space and time.
The question arises; "If there is more than one universe, with each one continually expanding(this is dependent on the Hubble constant but that aside), will they not eventually meet at some point?". But again, this question is pointless. If you were to suppose that you had more than one universe and that they were to expand until they met, you would have to assume that they had "positions" in the "void". But as position etc . is a property of the universe, you cannot have a way of telling "where" one universe is in relation to another. So again, the universes are infinitely separated in space and time.
Still though, I would mind a look at that article Sol mentioned.
As for the question of what we'd call our universe if other universes were discovered, well, I think thats a bit irrelevant. It's only a name after all.

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you had more than one universe, who's to say that another universe's time and space parameters would be the same as our own? They could be completely different. Actually, the more I think about the existance of other universes, the more potential problems I see. For example, what size would another universe be in comparison to our own, and how could one compare them? If the other universe had different space parameters... I'm getting a headache.

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't bother thinking of them... Camparison is impossible, because they'll have different rules. In fact, since they are outside all we know, we can only imagine what they are like.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's expanding into the void of nothingness, making nothing something.

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the theoretically infinite universes that make up the multiverse are not separated by space and time. In space/time coordinates, they may actually be colocated, or "superimposed" on one another. The problem is that they are still utterly separate.

What separates them? Well, it isn't space and time, so perhaps its yet another one of those incomprehensible dimensions the scientists are always touting. Since I am not aware that this subject has been directly addressed, I propose that we call this "separating dimension" be called unspace/time.

Thank you.

------------------
"Huh? Wuzzat?"
-- Any Teletubbie
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I was going for the more marketable "Flibble-line" myself.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps