Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Conservative, yet understandable... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Conservative, yet understandable...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, lessee.. first post... a thread about a US senator, the US bill of rights, and the people of the US.

Could it be...? Is it? Why yes, it's a discussion about the UNITED STATES!

Don't blame me, you're the one who brought Canada into it. I'm perfectly happy leaving the Canadians to their own devices. Especially as it applies to defense and the GST.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a drain on my resources if I had to move this thread. Hint hint, he said knowingly.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, I'll say no more.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US Policy has influence over here. Politicians here are repeatedly using US-style policies on health care, education, and yes, the less fortunate. So yes, the "professional couch potato" remark is of great importance to us. Especially when the less fortunate are branded as enemies to society by the elite. Especially when the government tries to convince us of this mentality as an excuse to make the legitimately dependant (ie, women, children, and the disabled) suffer even more.

I'll say no more on this unless I have to.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which part of "amazingly subtle hint to be quiet about silly national chestpounding" didn't get across?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to why, in your list of people who are "dependent", you included women. I know it's a radical idea, and it might not have reached your part of the world yet, but over here, some women do actually work for a living. Shocking I know. I lobbied against it, but since it was several decades before I was born, I was shouted down.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dependant woman I speak of is the single mother while employed (in whatever dismal job you can think of), she barely has (if not) enough money to pay for basic necessities. There used to be a lot of tools here in order to assist these single mothers, but the government of present day has shut them down, preferring to let the single mother and her children suffer in the cycle of dependancy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 23, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That's funny, I don't remember activating the cone of silence before I posted.

------------------
--
M. Doughty

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, if you're that antsy about the whole thing, just move the thread. It's not like it'll cause everyone a lot of trouble to move over to the Flameboard to continue the discussion or anything, and it'll be The_Tom's problem, not yours.

--Baloo

------------------
"A plain, good-hearted woman who loves you is infinitely more beautiful than any "gorgeous" woman who values your possessioins more than you."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that there's a problem that I can see to begin with...

Anyway, I wonder... Instead of simply sending people a check for their welfare money, letting them spend it on whatever they want, is there some way that the people could be given some sort of welfare "credit card" type of thing? They could use it legitimately in stores and such, like a normal credit card, but liquor stores wouldn't be allowed to accept it, and it's kind of hard to buy drugs that way. See what I'm getting at?

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The problem is, Baloo, that I tend to view moving and closing threads to be essentially saying to the posters involved "You idiots, look at what you've done!" Now, that is never my intention, nor do I think it is always implied, but that's how I feel. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with gently reminding people in my own charming way that they tread near the line. Am I overprotective? Perhaps. But I've been let down in the past. Not here, mind you, but as a general rule.

As to my reactions, I believe they have combined the wisdom of Solomon with the patience of...Solomon. (And the arrogance of...Solomon? Hmm.)

------------------
--
M. Doughty

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Obviously he don't know what I know about Solomon, then. The man created his own press. The whole 'baby' story was a analogy about what Solomon was ready to do to Israel (carve it in half) if he didn't get the throne. woo-woo.

Anyway, single mums. You know, there are a lot of ways NOT to be a single mum, if you're a woman. The most obvious of which is having tight-knee syndrome.

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Try to explain that to those mothers whose deadbeat husbands jump ship and leave them without a penny to live on.

First, your comments are akin to saying that you want all poor women to be sterilized.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 24, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

You see?

------------------
--
M. Doughty

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Tahna, I think that's called the "straw man" fallacy.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I was walking out of a movie, and some people recognized me from They Might Be Giants. They said 'Are you John?' and I said '...Yeah.' and then they said 'We're glad to see you getting out.'" - John Linnell

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps