Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My cousin Darla's on a roll...

Author Topic: My cousin Darla's on a roll...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the introductory paragraph, I am not a woman [package check. Yep! Definitely not]. I am pleased to see that my cousin Darla knew I'd appreciate the message anyway.

quote:
Did you know that it's Beautiful Women Month? Well, it is and that means YOU and that means me!!

Read On: We're All Beautiful Women! Did you know ...

There are 3 billion women who don't look like super models and only eight who do. Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14. If Barbie was a real woman, she'd have to walk on all fours due to her proportions.

The average American woman weighs 144 lbs. and wears between a size 12 and 14.

One out of every four college-aged woman has an eating disorder.

The models in the magazines are airbrushed -- they're not perfect!!

A psychological study in 1995 found that three minutes spent looking at models in a fashion magazine caused 70% of women to feel depressed, guilty, and shameful. Models twenty years ago weighed 8% less than the average woman; today they weigh 23% less.

"Beauty of a Woman"

The beauty of a woman
Is not in the clothes she wears,
The figure that she carries,
Or the way she combs her hair.

The beauty of a woman
Must be seen from in her eyes,
Because that is the doorway to her heart,
The place where love resides.

The beauty of a woman
Is not in a facial mole,
But true beauty in a woman
Is reflected in her soul.
It is the caring that she lovingly gives,
The passion that she shows,
And the beauty of a woman
With passing years -- only grows!

Please send this to five phenomenal women today in celebration of Women's History Month. If you do, something good will happen -- you will boost another woman's self-esteem.

------------------
"Huh? Wuzzat?"
-- Any Teletubbie
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...three minutes spent looking at models in a fashion magazine caused 70% of women to feel depressed, guilty, and shameful."

And they think men have issues! Ha! :-)

------------------
"Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"
-Geordi LaForge to Wesley Crusher, TNG: "Sarek"

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a comic strip from many years ago, one I've mentioned to at least one gal who had Cosmo Inferiority Complex [I paraphrase]:

Two teenage girls looking at fashion mags, one starts to real fat, ugly, etc.

Her friend says, Look at this girl on the cover. Her agent handles all the business, her personal assistant answers the fan mail and her accountant balances her checkbook. Her personal nutritionist tells her what to eat, her personal cook makes the meals, and her personal trainer helps her take off the calories from all those rice cakes. Her driver takes her from the hotel to the studio where she has someone else do her hair, someone else do her makeup, and someone else picks her outfits for the photo shoot. Honey, you're not ugly. You're just under-staffed!!

:-)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now, to look like a completly unsympathetic bastard: 144lbs? What's the average height? And what's the average height and weight of American men?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 10-15 years ago it was 5'9" and ~170 lbs. Now? Who knows?

I am 6'1½" tall and weigh 145 lbs. I am not typical (but I suppose you've already guessed that ).

------------------
"Huh? Wuzzat?"
-- Any Teletubbie

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Correction: that's 245 lbs. I am not a stick.

--Baloo

[P.S.: What happened to the edit function?]

------------------
"Huh? Wuzzat?"
-- Any Teletubbie

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sporadically dissappears and reappears... Hey, look, it's back...

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are other side effects to reading birdbrain magazines.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm somewhere around 6'2" (188cm) or 6'3" (191cm) an about 160lbs. (73kg). I am a stick... :-)

------------------
"Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"
-Geordi LaForge to Wesley Crusher, TNG: "Sarek"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6" exactly. And 12 stone. Which is...152lbs. I used to know it in metrix too, dang it.

Still, statistically, by the year 2040, 100% of all Americans will be overweight.

Of course, that's probably an exageration. Still, the main problem is what people perceive about weight. People see thin people, and say "I could never look like that. They don't eat anything."

And that's the problem. People tend to find the two sides as being overwieght, or not eating anything.

A radical idea to lose weight that more people should try might be: exercise. You know, walking up stairs rather than running. Not getting that stair-lift installed in your house. Walking to the shops. And so on...

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

PsyLiam is right. Even a moderate increase in activity will help you reduce weight. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if you eat healthy foods and get moderate exercise, you're really about as good-looking as you need to be. It really is what's inside that counts, and I've always felt that an honest smile, however crooked, on a "homely", but loving face is far more beautiful than "perfect" features on a "flawless beauty" who cares about nothing more than her appearance.

But that's just me -- or is it?

--Baloo

------------------
"The most beautiful woman is not the unattainable goddess.
It's the attainable goddess who's unattainable to everyone else but you."
-- Me

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"I don't love her for her beauty. I love her for what's on the inside."

"Oh yeah? And if she looked like a horses arse you think that you'd have wanted to find out what was on the inside?"

Paraphrased from Adrian Mole. Of course, while everyone does claim that it's whats on the inside, not many people would be anxious to date Two-Face.

Interestingly, people do tend to match up with people of similar "lookedness" or whatever. And even more encouragingly, women are apparently less picky than men. Hmm, it must happen when they get older...

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps