Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why folks from the U.S. are called "Americans"...

Author Topic: Why folks from the U.S. are called "Americans"...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I've heard a lot of folks wonder, sometimes with a bit of annoyance (Canadians, mostly), why people from the United States of America are called "Americans". Why not call us "United Staters" or "Yoo-Essers" or something like that? Well, something occurred to me a few days ago. Let me run it past you and see if it makes sense.

"United Staters" does not properly differentiate us from certain other Americans. Specifically, I speak of the folks who hail from Mexico. Why Mexico? Well, technically, Mexico is the United States of Mexico. The United States of Mexico is more often simply referred to as "Mexico", just as the USA is usually referred to as "America". If Mexico is populated by Mexicans, it logically follows that America must be populated (largely) by Americans.

That makes sense, does it not?

------------------
"A firm belief that you are right does not constitute proof that you are."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's usually the "United Mexican States", though that's probably just an artifact of the translation.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehehehehe.......

This from the United Provinces and Territories of Canada (not states, mind you.......)

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't our name technically just Canada?

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But doesn't that make me, Monty, Orion et al, er, Kingdomers?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't follow that logic, since America is a larger whole and "United States of" is the more distinguishing characteristic.

Mexico ("The United States of Mexico," IIRC) is not a larger whole.

Canada isn't either (even though the entire official name is "Canada" and formerly "The Dominion of Canada").

America is. But all this could've been avoided if you lived in the United States of Vespuccia.

------------------
"Warning: The contents of this Physics lab are 100% matter. Should the lab come in contact with antimatter in any way, a catastrophic explosion will occur."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can hear the National Anthem now:

"God bless Vespucciland...!"

------------------
"A firm belief that you are right does not constitute proof that you are."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps