Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » ILOVEYOU virus - No Joke (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ILOVEYOU virus - No Joke
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This virus, which I had contracted earlier today, has been going around Europe and started in the US earlier today. Its a lot like the Melissa virus, except its not as damaging.

One, it changes all your jpg files to 11k vbs files. It will create a vbs file with the name of your mp3 file and make your mp3 file a hidden file.

I was able to recover my computer and keep it from spreading, but at the cost of several jpgs, especially ones from my webpage. Good thing I can just download those.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, I found out it IS more damaging...how about that.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
top-of-the-hour news update on the radio today (about noon, Pacific time [US West Coast] on 4 May) said the US military is switching a lot of message traffic to high-security networks just to avoid this damn virus.

Will the guilty 14-year-old please stand up.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is why you should NEVER EVER open ANY file attachment unless you're 100% sure of what it is...

------------------
"You shot him! You shot him dead!!"
"Well, he was attacking me with a banana!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the same warning from my network admin.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My roommate taped a hammer to his delete key to keep the message log from getting big (it FWDed itself to every address on our global access list).

------------------
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the
obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
George Orwell

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah. Stupid virus.

It hit our school bright an early this morning... I got dragged out of bed because of it, too....... *tries not to be bitter about the lost sleep* Whole campus has been in chaos today... when will people learn????? *sigh*

~LOA

------------------
No, you CAN'T see my picture!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure am glad I don't have to worry about computer viruses...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "You know, we actually know the next song we're going to play. We're talking about some personal stuff that concerns just me and John. I realize that this probably isn't the time or the place."
John Flansburgh: "We can finish this conversation in the car."

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my http://www.sk.sympatico.ca ISP web page there is a big paragraph warning me about it. I didn't get the e-mail and I don't know if anyone else I know did. Maybe it hasn't hit Canada yet? It would be funny if it hit my school. At least for a minute until all my jpgs and messsed up.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I found it in my Yahoo inbox. Luckily I just deleted it without looking at the message. So it has come to the US.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

It has come to the US, and done some pretty nasty stuff indeed.

Here's an additional note:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/05/04/iloveyou.03/index.html

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got two friends and 8 PC's as proof that this darn virus can whipe clean a harddrive...

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People need to learn two things. One, don't open mysterious attachments. And two, don't use MS Outlook. :-)

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, better yet, just get a Mac.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "You know, we actually know the next song we're going to play. We're talking about some personal stuff that concerns just me and John. I realize that this probably isn't the time or the place."
John Flansburgh: "We can finish this conversation in the car."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under the First of Two Constitutional Tyrrany, perpetrators of such viruses will be punished by lining up everyone who is inconvenienced by their pranks and giving them each one free throw of a baseball-sized chunk of sharp obsidian.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps