Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » let's party like it's 1999+ 1

Author Topic: let's party like it's 1999+ 1
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know, it's the END OF THE WORLD on Friday, 5/5/2000.

Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn all "line up" on the far side of the Sun, and the Moon will be approximately between Earth and the Sun around o4:00 GMT.

Expect the gravitational pull to cause earthquakes, tidal waves, tsunami, hurricanes, global warming, acne, dogs and cats living together, etc.

it's all bunk, of course, but if you've got a boss or teacher prone to believe in New Age pseudoscience, this could be your ticket to a 3-day weekend!

So you on the other side!!

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn!! I have already taken Monday off, since it's a holiday Tue. (Election Day, Primarys)

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have tomorrow off... So the planets are going to be aligned at 8 AM? Might be something to look forward to, if I get up that early...

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to worry! My co-workers and I have figured out that our combined gravitational attraction (relative to Earth) is far greater than the combined pull of all the aligned planets (sure -- they're heavier, but we're many orders of magnitude closer -- inverse square law and all that...).

Our plan is simple: At the critical hour, we'll just align ourselves to counter the "evil" influence of the conjunction. Sure, this will take some scaffolding, but we have work stands and ladders, so it ought to work.

If you're alive tomorrow, I'll let you all know where to send those checks and money orders (purely out of gratitude, of course -- we're providing this service free of charge out of the goodness of our hearts!)

------------------
"The difference between involved and committed? Look at a plate of ham and eggs. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If indeed we do produce enough gravity relative to the Earth in order to counteract the undoubtedly Lucifer-created unholy alignment of the celestial bodies of sin, what happens if we all jump at the same time?

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its funny tho...That people still believe in this stuff despite the fact that all the planets were aligned not too many years ago.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if all the people in all the world started shagging each other at the same time?
If they reached a resonance frequency equal to that of core, mantle and crustal materials in the earth, would the earth shatter to teeny bits?

Only one way to find out...

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty hard to do that since the core, mantle, and crust are made up of different materials so their resonances would be different.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know that.
I meant that not everyone would be riding at the same rate.
But...enough monkies and enough typewriters...there might be something there.

I'll arrange the whole thing myself. There'll be no need for contraceptives as if my plan works as it's intneded to, there won't be an earth left, therefore no more us!

WHO'S WITH ME?!?

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I didn't think a monkey could do that w/ a typewriter...

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still feeling burned from when the world didn't end in October as promised.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheer up Sol, it didn't end on Dec 31 1999 either.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And WW3 didn't start in July '99, either. This past year has just been one disappointment after another, hasn't it...? *L*

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what happens if there is an odd number of people in the world? Eh? Imagine sitting in your uni room, while the people next door have sex. Now imagine EVERYONE on the floor is having sex. Now, imagine that everyone in the building is having sex. And so on.

Now, most people would have killed themselves after we got to "floor", but assuming that we do get to "the world", imagine how bad Frank will feel.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

*rimshot*

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps