Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » At least First will understand....

Author Topic: At least First will understand....
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why you Should Fall to your Knees and Worship a Librarian.

From which I offer this anecdote (fond under the Stupid Library Tricks section):

When I worked for a county library system serving a large midwestern metropolitan area, a gentleman attired in jeans & a plaid workshirt came to the desk & asked if the library had any books about "poultry" - I referred him to the shelves in the 600's; a few minutes later he was back a the desk with a very puzzled look on his face & said, "Ma'am can yew hailp me - ah cain't find any poltry books"

Puzzled, I took him to our (then) ROM to the subject heading of Poultry & suggested that he look again & offered to help him located some information. He replied, "No, ma'am, thems is all books about chickins & ducks - Ah wahnted some books abowut luv poltry." Stupid me - I let my city ways influence my perceptions of agrarian sensibilities.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How true. How very, very true... *L*

The one about the snake sounds familiar. It's amazing the way people come in looking for information, but won't listen when you try to give it to them. There's a reason this person said she tries to stay out of things. Eventually, you realize there's not much point... *L*

However, there's one thing I don't understand... The story you actually posted here... What was the guy asking? I mean, it's not unusual to get questions where I just can't figure out what the person is asking, but I'm completely lost here. "Love poultry"?

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited May 17, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was asking for love poetry.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I feel like we need an anti-library brigade around here. You people scare me sometimes.

But then I think, where would I read Either/Or by Kierkegaard? I'm not quite so sad as to buy it. Yet.

Still, if TSN or First wanted to take over the YVCC library I'd be the first to recommend them. Anyone. Anyone, I tell you.

"Well, our computers are down. I'll need to see your registration."

I'm holding a bleeding add/drop form, you stupid stupid person! Why would I have a filled out add/drop form if I wasn't adding or dropping classes, and why would I be adding or dropping classes if I wasn't registered at the damned place!

In their defense, another, nicer person came and let me check out my books.

And don't even get me started on their technology department.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Go to a real school Simon.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Love Poultry"?

*Ahem* [Warning! Obscure reference approaching!]

"Here's your sign, sir. Don't lose it like you did the last one."

------------------
"Happiness, hunger, horniness and disappointment: the four things people and dogs have in common."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said.

Librarians are superior to virtually all other forms of life, (sex goddesses and other wild and domestic felines excepted) and thusly deserve to be given rulership of the world. Who, after all, is MORE likely to make an informed, educated decision. Some politician with an agenda, or a guy/gal with virtually unlimited data at their fingertips AND the skills to find/use/reference it properly?

I've got to find a big copy of that pic with the 'look it up' girl. That'd make a GREAT T-shirt to hawk at conferences.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you people have conferences?

How do you stand the excitement?

Stereotypes aside, it might be observed that just because one has the ability to access all of recorded human wisdom, does not necessarily mean that one shall: the various publicly-expressed, politically-charged personal opinions of some academics over the years comes to mind

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps