Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » American Socio $$$$$

Author Topic: American Socio $$$$$
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I've heard, that americans prefer the word sociopath rather than psychopath. So it's 1:13am here in Sweden, I just came home from watching a sneak-preview of "American Psycho".
It sure does make you look at people in the subway differently. "Is he one?? Is she one? Am I the psycho in this subway-car??"
Now, the friends I went with took another way home so I haven't had anyone to talk to about the experience. And seeing as I won't meet them again for a while I NEED SOME DEBRIEFING, FAST! Or you'll read about me in the papers!!!

-Firstly, was the main character really Patrick Bateman or not?

- Was the first "apartment"-victim Paul Allen or not (or was he in London)?

- Why did that apartment-broker react so strangely to his asking about Paul Allen and want him to leave?

- Why didn't his lawyer recognize him?

-How much of his escapades had really happened?

-I could understand if his last killings was a hallucination, but the calender his secretary found must've been real. And he WAS close to nailing her.

Anyway, I always like to see those superficial, anal, egoistic, prissy, snooty harvard-lads get portrayed like that, and the toilet-scene (where Bateman can't bear himself to kill a guy because he is too disgusted with the fact that the sneak-homosexual touched him and came on to him), that was very amusing.
Must be the only time homophobia paid off for anyone, especially the victim of it!

The peak of the pic, wit de chainsaw, that was really uncomfortable. They really turned up the volume so that you thought you were being hunted too.

Yep, pretty intense film. Really shows the materialistic/capitalistic side of society at it's worst, forgetting the human in the middle of it.

Ah, well, I'll go jerk off in my very own feces now, and put on my human-skin pyjamas! (Mmmm)
But as I said, I was pretty worked up in the end of the film, so If someone could help me with those question-marks I'd appreciate it.

Good night, and may the sick spare us!

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about that topic name...I thought this might have been about the author of my first philosophy text, Douglas Soccio.

Haven't seen the movie, though.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behold! I bring tidings from beyond the Rim!

*channel open* *formatting signal* *codex: Lee*

*Lee begins:*
You appreciate it a lot more if you read the book first. Problem is, it's a tough book to read. Get's pretty gruesome at times, and when I got to the threesome scene I was on a train and felt like everyone in the carriage was reading over my shoulder!

-Firstly, was the main character really Patrick Bateman or not?

Yes, he was Bateman. Unfortunately, he's a bit of a nobody, so no-one really remembers or notices him. Paul Allen can get into Dorsia, he can't. In the book, even Bateman's younger brother can get into Dorsia.

- Was the first "apartment"-victim Paul Allen or not (or was he in London)?

That's what you have to decide. Was it all in his mind, or did ir all really happen? Part of it is, Paul Allen has achieved legendary status for his financial deeds. If Paul Allen is really dead, but it's been covered up, then who can contradict this lawyer saying "I had dinner with Paul in London" - subtext being, I'm very important and well-connected - except the killer?

- Why did that apartment-broker react so strangely to his asking about Paul Allen and want him to leave?

Well, either because he turned up without an appointment and could be anybody, and therefore not someone they had vetted as being suitable; or, because they had found all the dead bodies and covered the whole thing up, and wanted to avoid scandals/thrillseekers/lawsuits/declining property values for what is a very exclusive apartment block.

- Why didn't his lawyer recognize him?

That I don't know. Maybe he was faking to get rid of him. Maybe he's not really his lawyer. Maybe they've never met in person?

-How much of his escapades had really happened?

See second answer. You'll notice that the final spree - killing the old lady, the police, the security guard - had a dreamlike quality, it was too action-packed. Police cars DON'T explode like that.

-I could understand if his last killings was a hallucination, but the calender his secretary found must've been real. And he WAS close to nailing her.

No, him about to 'nail' her might be another flight of fancy. The closest he came to doing all these things might really be all the doodling in his diary, born of frustration at his life and his sheer nebbishness.

All in all, an excellent film. All the best bits of the book were there, even his bizarre monologues about the nusic of Genesis, Huey Lewis & The News , and Whitney Houston.

*channel closed*

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much, Sol! That was very thorough, just what I wanted.
I sure would've liked to see a scene with Bateman and Bateman Senior. Could show some intriguing chemistry and maybe some insight in the condition of the family Bateman. Was his dad in the book?
And who is this alleged contact beyond the rim, Lee?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Lee is the person responding to your post. I'm just the medium, the go-between, the spiritual bridge between this world and the next. Lee is out in the Beyond, and I'm just twiddling my thumbs down here in the Slow Zone.

While I was walking home today, I was hit on the head and saw a vision, which spoke to me thusly:

No, Bateman senior doesn't appear in the book. I think it's even implied he's dead, or doesn't have anything to do with his elder son, who at least has to work for a living (if not very hard). The younger son doesn't need to, but lives a life of privilege and leisure. Read into that what you will.

It's also implied he killed members of the family staff and people at college, but which were covered up. He has a meeting with the FAMILY lawyer about a rape charge concerning a maid, which it is fully expected he'll get off (and this is before the William Kennedy Smith thing!).

As to the whos and whys and wherefores, that's a long and no doubt dull story. If you'd like the skinny, crank me out an E. Word.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

The Lee is wise, as always... Maybe I should buy the book, I get too much sleep anyway!

For the record, I sacrifice one vigorous apple to the glory of Lee and his prophet, Vedek Sol.
*munch, munch, golum*

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacrificeing Apples will get Frank upset.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Bless you, my child.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sacrifices an Apple as well, to the glory of the PC God*

There is no God but IBM and Microsoft is his profit.

No offense to the local Muslims here.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IBM designs the PowerPC processors in Macs. :P

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This next song is from our album 'The Spaghetti Incident.' And...it's actually a new song."
*several seconds pass*
Audience Member: "Oh, I get it..."

Nim
Member # 205

I don't believe you boys!
Ah take a vacation for THREE DAYS and you boys give me holy war on mah lawn!!!
But you shall know that I am Nimrod, when ah release mah blazing hand o' vengeance upon thee!!
Have ah ever told you about the time I met the Loch-Ness munstah???

May it be known in the scrolls-of-might that I produce TWO...delicious...*looks in kitchen*...um...*digs tha' freezer*...Here we go.
Two lucious freeze-dried hotdogs without buns, to ensure the peace and comfort of these (most) impulsive, whimful children. (makes a note to go shopping BEFORE taking a trip)
May Frank have mercy on their souls...PROCEED!
*yank*...*CRAK*

Crazy ol' munstah...

*palpatinespeak* Now, for the pitiful sake of keeping this thread alive:

Mac and windows may wither, but latinum lasts forevah!!

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps