Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » An underrated southern delicacy...

Author Topic: An underrated southern delicacy...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran across the following recipe in a debate about what was good about the (American) south:

quote:
Ingredients:

2 Glasses
    2 oz Jack Daniels (more is acceptable)
    12 oz Coca-Cola
    ice

Directions:

Place sufficient ice into both glasses.
Pour the Jack Daniels into the first glass.
Pour the Coca Cola into the second glass.
Hand glass containing Coca Cola to a child and tell him to go away.
Sip away at the glass containing Jack Daniels.

This recipe works equally well with Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sprite, 7-Up, and Root Beer.

Works for me, though I think I'd substitute brandy for the JD (bourbon never appealed to me).

--Baloo

------------------
"Nice guys finish last? I'll say we do!
(Sometimes we last for hours.)"
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S.: Anyone wants to share some favorite recipes (alcoholic or not) feel free to reply.

------------------
-- Me

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingredients:

McCain 5 minute Superfries
1 can Heinz Beef Gravy
Mozzarella cheese

Take McCain 5 minute Superfries and place in oven at 400�F. Take out pot and place gravy in put. Heat gravy at medium. Cut mozzarella cheese into small cubes.

When gravy reaches sufficient warmth, place cheese in gravy. Remove fries from oven.

Once the cheese has melted in the gravy, pour gravy/cheese mix over fries. And now you have poutine

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One I've heard of, follwed by one I actually made:

Beam Me Up, Scotty
Equal parts Jim Beam, 7-Up, Scotch.
mix
imbibe, and prepare to say strange things like: "The Line must be drawn he-yah!", "You're all astronauts on some kinda star trek?", and "Thissis no time to be talkin' about time! We don' have the time!"

Romulan Ale
2 quarts Electric Blue Kool Aid,
1 cup Sprite,
1 fifth of the high-proof Wodka of your choice.
mix
drink, then look for a soft place to keel over.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fruitcake Recipe

You'll need the following:
1 C water 1 C sugar
4 large eggs 2 C dried fruit
1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt
1 C brown sugar lemon juice
1 C nuts 1 FULL bottle of your favorite whiskey

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again to be sure that it is of the highest quality.
Pour 1 level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 C of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 tsp sugar and beat again. Make sure the whiskey is still OK. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer.
Break two legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something. Who cares. Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again. Go to bed. Who the HELL likes fruitcake anyway?

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited May 26, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

To make the Romulan ale extra potent (and frightening-looking) substitute everclear (180 proof grain alcohol) for the "wodka"! Crush a generous amount of dry ice and put it in the punch bowl. Take care not to ingest any of the dry ice. It adds a dramatic touch, and refreshes the carbonation of the beverage.

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting idea. If I still drank, I'd try it.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

The dry ice works pretty well with nonalcoholic beverages as well. You don't even have to use carbonated ingredients, because the dry ice will do the carbonation for you.

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool.

*drinks, eats/chews on dry ice*

Ow!!!!

------------------
Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Seriously, folks! Playing with fire is a good comparison. Exercise extreme caution when playing with dry ice -- it could save you a trip to the emergency room.

DRY ICE MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

--Baloo

P.S.: Danger notwithstanding, it is fun to play with!

------------------
-- Me

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, you asked. This is an american thing I read about in a car magazine. An aussie was driving around the USA from state to state checking out the current level of american motoring and he came across this:

HOT BROWN

* Take 5 slabs of meat - beef, pork, chicken, turkey, ham
* bbq them till ready
* stack the 5 slabs
* wrap in bacon
* deep fry
* place in large, deep plate
* take 2.2lb of cheese
* place on plate around meat (wrapped in more meat, dripping in fat) insert into oven till cheese is melted.

EAT. DIE, of heart disease.

Anyway the bloke said he ate 2 bites and had experienced enough.

So there you go folks. Try a hot brown some day.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Are you sure it's an American dish? If it is, I'll bet it's southern cooking -- they think grease is a whole food group by itself. It sounds almost like a meat poutine.

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a texan thing as I understand it.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem to have the chest pain of Tejas Barb.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps