Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A few thoughts

Author Topic: A few thoughts
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Titanic was sunk not because of tears in the hull, but because the ships rivets holding the steel plates together failed. The ship was intact for about 200 feet underwater, held by a 26 feet slice of the keel.

Airbus is moving forward with a 550 passenger behemoth equipped with a gymnasium, lounge, etc.

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it's got a bowling alley and a good library, sign me up for the maiden flight.

--Baloo

------------------
Vote Baloo for
Curmudgeon-in-Chief!
"I'm not as old as dirt, but I remember when it was under warranty!"
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*definitely missed something*

------------------
"I'm not stubborn. I'm just right."
-me

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The Airbus A3xx will be essentially a flying passenger liner from the early days of this century. Other ideas for the airplane type: a theater, a libray, and a kids' play area.
In my threads for the officers' lounge, I attempt to bring items that are not foreign to me-like most of the jokes in the 20 questions or the curry statements. Hopefully, others will be interested and a discussion can happen.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the proposed dimensions of this airborne behemoth?

--Baloo

P.S. I heard Boeing was planning on extending the upper deck of the 747 to create a high-capacity model, but I haven't heard anything in over a year. Anyone else?

------------------
Technobabble Incorporated!
Taking technology to the edge...
...and pushing it over!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

LB4747
Ex-Member

According to Airbus, the A3XX will have a wingspan of 79.8 meters (261.7 ft.) and a maximum length of 78.9 meters (258.7 ft.).

A more detailed look at the A3XX is available at http://www.airbus.com/family_a3xx.html

As for Boeing, they continue to maintain that a 550-seat airliner is not needed at this time. However, last week "Aviation Week & Space Technology" revealed confidential Boeing documents that indicate Boeing is considering its own 450- to 550-seat plane.
The concept plane, known as the 763-246C, would seat 454 passengers in three classes and 547 in a stretched version, and would use 4 777-type engines. Unlike the 747 and A3XX, passengers would be seated on one deck. But, airlines would also have the option of adding 82 sleeper berths above the first- and business-class seats. The earliest the plane could be put into service would be 2006.

As for the extended 747, Boeing dropped the idea of developing a 550-seat version, but is still considering more "modest" 747 and 777 variants.

------------------
Lawrence Boucher <-- livin la vida loca

[This message was edited by LB4747 on May 05, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps