Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » And it only took 34 years. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And it only took 34 years.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we finally beat Germany again. 1-0. Kicked by Owen, nodded in by Shearer. And it would have been nice too, if Germany hadn't actually put out a load of incontinent old ladies instead of playing actualy football players.

Still, we won. Which is what matters in the end I suppose. OTOH, we've still got Romania to beat. And let's hope that on Tuesday England manage to pass the ball more than 3 times before giving it away.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"
- Polly Ester; Samurai Pizza Cats

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought football/soccer was just a lame excuse to have a riot & bott each other on the 'ead?

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, "bott each other on the 'ead"? Could you translate that into English?

Okay, let's do a quick check. How many countires play Football out there? *counts* Brilliant. Now, how many play Cricket. *counts less, but stilla lot*. okay. And Rugby? *Still a fair few.* Okay, now Baseball. *silence. Then, one slightly chubby hand goes up*. Okay, and American rules Football? *The hand stays up, but doesn't look too confident*.

Come on, at least the Aussies don't kid themselves that anyone else plays their version of football.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bott each other on the 'ead:" what my fellow counselor from Sussex suggested we do as an initiation rite for new campers in the bunk. Needless to say, it was swiftly rejected.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada and Japan play baseball, too...

And I didn't know there were Americans who thought anyone else played non-soccer football. Well, maybe the really dumb ones, but there are idiots in other countries, too...

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And several South American countries play baseball too. Where do you think many of the American's players come from? There's no need to go around bashing other people's sports. Besides any game is pretty silly if you really think about it. The whole point is to have fun, so who cares how yo do it.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

[This message has been edited by fructose1 (edited June 18, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, apparently... :-)

------------------

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guess so

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I hearby apologise if I have offended anyone by daring to suggest that American Football is complete and utter pants. I also apologise if I offended anyone by using "pants" in a manner which deviates from the American norm.

(Besides, I said American-Rules football, and indicated that only Americans play it. Adn America, at last count, included Canada, and obviously South America too).

Sorry, I'm still not getting "bott". Do you mean "butt" as in "headbutt"? Cause I don't know anyone from Sussex who would pronounce it that way.

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And America, at last count, included Canada...

Ngah!! I'll boot you on the 'ead. I hope you're just talking about the style of football...

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

Fructose
Member # 309

I think he meant the continent.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Duh, I meant the continent. That's why I said "America". As oppossed to the "US".

Okay, let's have a lesson in how to speak English.

Bad "Dick van Dyke" style of speaking:

"I'll boot you on the 'head".

Correct "cockney/London" way of speaking.

"I'll kick yor fucking 'ead in if you speak like that again!"

The only people who speak like the first example are Daphne's old English boy/girlfriends on Frasier. Ignore them. They are wrong.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, seems as how I just watched two American football teams from Germany play... US and Canada aren't the only ones out there... What is it, NFL Europe League or something?

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some clarification:

Association Football (Soccer): Played damn near everywhere. Not sure about Nauru's squad.

Rugby Football: The second-most-worldwide team sport, IIRC. Played on every continent, with no real area of the world turning out insanely better teams than anyone else.

Aussie-rules Football: Played in Australia. Possibly the coolest sport to watch on latenight sportsnets. (*does the little umpire gun-finger thing*) Even the New Zealanders won't play it.

Gaelic Football: Only the Irish will play it, or at least I don't think its played in Scotland.

American Football: Played in U. S. of A, and nowhere else. Absolutely nowhere else. The odd Canadian playground might feature American footballs being tossed around or four-down rules, but it isn't played anywhere else. And NFL Europe doesn't count because it's a cheap marketing excuse.

Canadian Football: Bigger balls, bigger field, three downs, and cool team names like "Tiger-Cats" and "Roughriders." Not played anywhere outside of Canada.

Baseball. Played extensively in the US, Japan, some parts of Latin American (Cuba and Mexico spring to mind as the only country that puts together a decent team) Amount of play in Canada is directly proportional to the success of the Blue Jays. Otherwise, nowhere else.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Cool names? "Tiger-cats" is redundant and "Roughriders" is stolen from Teddy Roosevelt's gang... *L*

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps