Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » *News Flash.... Secrets of the Mason's revealed. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *News Flash.... Secrets of the Mason's revealed.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, this wasn't exactly what I had intended to bring about. Peace and love.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clue who Job and Lot are. *L* I'm a Catholic, BTW. Please, no shots at my religion here...

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

D. Lerious
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Job is some dude is the old testament, who suffered a lot and...... that's all I know.

------------------
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

[This message has been edited by D. Lerious (edited June 22, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D. Lerious>

To answer your question from the beginning...

Yes, you have seen it in a book, if you have read any of Ann McAffrey's Rowan books.

Jeff Raven was the charming and highly intelligent telepath husband of Rowan. I used the nick Jeff Raven back when I simmed, but I dropped out of that, but kept the nick name cuz it oozes cool.

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot and his family were the only survivors of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah for the sins of pride and inhospitality. Lot's wife looked back, despite God's warning not to, and was transmuted into salt (or volcanic ash). Lot's daughters later committed incest with him to preserve the family line.

Job was just this guy who God and Satan had a contest over. To test his faith, God allowed Satan to do whatever he wanted to the guy, to see if he (satan) could get him (Job) to curse Him (God.) Naturally, since this is a Bible story, Job didn't waver - until near the end, when he asks God why he's doing this, and God responds with a long diatribe asking Job where Job was when God did all these great things, and never really does manage to answer the question. Eventually, though, God wins the bet and restores Job all the things that he lost, complete with a new set of children to replace the ones that were killed. And they all lived happily until the next test. The end.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the Lot story is kinda similar to the whole Orpheus thing?

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited June 23, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Orpheus things is much more similar to "What Dreams May Come" but without the heaven bit and without the happy ending. Orpheus went into the underworld to rescue his beloved Eurydice. Hades/Pluto allowed Eurydice to accompany Orpheus back, on the condition that Orpheus take it on faith, and not look behind him to see if she followed. But at the very end, his doubt overcame him and he looked back, in time to see her disappear. The "Don't look behind you" elements are the only thing the stories have in common.

Yes, I'll be your phone-a-friend for the Mythology questions when you go on Regis's show.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that Orpheus had a whole mystery religion dedicated to him in ancient Greece.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the part of the Lot story I had in mind was when the two guys (who were actually angels, but Lot didn't know it) came to Sodom and Lot let them stay in his house. The whole town came out and knocked on Lot's door, telling him to send out the two travellers so they (the townspeople) could "have their way" w/ them (the two guys). Lot said "Sorry, but they're guests here and I wouldn't want to be rude. Instead, you can have my virgin daughters to do whatever you want with." Fortunately for the young Misses Lot, the townspeople didn't like the idea, and kept going after the travellers.

And Lot was saved from destruction because ol' Yahweh thought he had all his morals in order. And, as mentioned, this was the same god who made a bet w/ Evil himself that he couldn't torture Job to the point of heresy. Think about that the next time you get ready to say your bedtime prayers...

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Must we do this here?

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
--
They Might Be Giants

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, please save religion bashing for the flame board.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No bashing. Just stating the facts...

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No deflowering of beautiful young virgins?

Well, First, there goes any interest I might have had in the Masons. Sheesh! Sounds like a lot of trouble to ensure you've got drinking buddies! Maybe you better talk to the Masonic heirarchy about that one. I'm sure it'd be quite a draw.

------------------
Beer lovers take note:
Stroh's spelled backwards is "shorts."

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, even I might get interseted!!

I know some people from Eastern Star, down in South Carolinia.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps