Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A friend sent me this... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A friend sent me this...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, you can have sex at 16, you can get guns at 18, but you can't drink until you're 21, and in certain states you can't even buy fireworks?

What, did someone take all the laws in one bag, a list of ages running from "since birth" to "pre-teens with parents permission" all the way up to "completly illegal" in another, and then just hold a raffle?

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that's "you can legally have sex at 16 in all but 12 states." Of the remaining 12, 8 mandate age of consent at 18 & the other 4 allow it at 14 (Mississppi, Arkansas, Kentucky, & Hawaii). That's the last time I checked, though. My info may be a year or 2 out of date.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14? 14!> Four-fucking-teen? (well, yes. Literally too).

No-one else think that being able to produce children, butnot being allowed to operate a little rocket - that goes "weee" - ever, is possibly a little bit strange?

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Okay, you can have sex at 16,"

Not dangerous.

"you can get guns at 18,"

Dangerous but useful.

"but you can't drink until you're 21,"

Dangerous and useless.

"and in certain states you can't even buy fireworks?"

Very dangerous and useless.

At least, that's the reasoning.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Ah. At first, I was afraid you were stating your own opinions on the matter, in which case I was going to fall out of my chair. *L*

I'd say sex is dangerous, guns and alcohol are both dangerous and useless, and fireworks are dangerous but just too cool to ban. *LOL*

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fireworks are great only for certain events and for blowing up a broken AMT Star Trek model to make battle damage...

------------------
Personal Ad # 74913

-I'm an 18 year old Filipino student in the Los Angeles area looking for a steady boyfriend to compensate for very healthy sexual appetite. Must be white, blond, and have blue eyes.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

So you're allowed to do dangerous things as long as it either
a/ Protects your house from dirty nasty robbers.
b/ Produces more Yanks. Cause we do need that.

But if it's only fun, then it's banned. Good to see the government continuing to tell you how to have fun. Besides, the argument "they might hurt themselves" doesn't really wash, does it? I'd hardly say that fireworks are more difficult to operate, or less dangerous than cars.

When can you drive anyway? Or smoke? (I'm sure I ask this every year. But it keeps dropping out.)

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
16 on driving (except in some midwestern farm states, where it's 14 with parental supervision) & 18 on smoking.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first year fireworks of any kind, were legal in West Virginia, and the first year that I didn't bother. And for the record:
Sex-16
beer-18
Drivers-14 with parent. learners, but can drive alone-16. real drivers-18

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Missouri, driving age is 16 (15.5 for a learner's permit), alcohol is 21, tobacco is 18. I think the legal age of consent is 18, too. Firearms might be 21; I'm not sure.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and in certain states you can't even buy fireworks?

See, it turns out Liam that Los Angeles is in a desert...you know a dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.

We're not talking about professional firework displays, we're talking about Jed and his 9 kids shooting bottle-rockets into tinder dry brush and burning half of the drought-ridden state of Florida or California into a burned over mess.

Los Angeles also has tons of wood shingle roofs...which is being changed as new houses get built, but the wood shingle roofs burn baby burn. So L.A. prohibits the sale of fireworks. Monterey Park, 10 minutes away does not.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny, but today I just saw on TV about a fire in North Hills (it's in Los Angeles County) that was caused by a firecraker. It burned up grass near the 405 Freeway and nearly took out an appartment garage.

------------------
Personal Ad # 74913

-I'm an 18 year old Filipino student in the Los Angeles area looking for a steady boyfriend to compensate for very healthy sexual appetite. Must be white, blond, and have blue eyes.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

And that, people, is why you don't set off firecrackers near dry grass. :-)

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps