Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm like, away and stuff...... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm like, away and stuff......
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Golf...course...?" :::shakes head to clear the baffles::

Regardless...I mean, I'm the hugest fuckin' geek, too--I love Trek, love anime, build models, know all this shit about everything like y'all--but don't you ever say, "That's too far, man..."?

How many people here own uniforms? Of those people, how many bought the standard ill-fitting crappy ones & how many had them tailor-made? Of the ones who had them tailor-made, how many HAD to have them tailor-made because even a 92 extra portly is too small?

There's a major stereotype for the sci-fi fan in Aemrica..probably to an extent everywhere around the world (except Japan, where sci-fi & animation rule). I for one don't need to propagate that image. I own 1 Trek shirt--it's a Enterprise-d Rec Deck shirt someone got me for Christmas. I wear it only during the summer when I'm really really hot because it's a very thin fabric. I went out to lunch with a friend a few months ago & he wore his Jeri Ryan shirt. Now, he's not exactly a slim person, but it reinforced the stereotype, y'know? And he wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.

I'm not saying it's a BAD thing to announce you're a sci-fi fan....it's just the way it's done, y'know? My bag has sci-fi patches & pins all over it intermingled with the music & cult stuff. I wear "Blade Runner" shirts, anime shirts...right now, I have one on from Starship Modeler. But when I hear things like using that WAV as an answering machine message, my colon wants to jump up & throttle my brain.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... So obssessing over a TV show is bad, eh? What about obessessing over being stereotyped as obssessing over a TV show? *grin*

And the golf course thing was a reference to the Red Dwarf episode referenced earlier (the skateboard thing).

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The message I used to have was "You have reached (phone number.) I am currently unable or unwilling to come to the phone right now. Please leave a message."

As I gag, I changed it for a day to one I had read on an Internet humor site, along the lines of "Hello, the answering machine isn't here right now. This is the refrigerator. Please speak slowly and I'll try to remember what you said."

My dad called while I was out and claimed to be his microwave wanting to talk to my washing machine, was it in?

Other variations I've read on the Internet: "Hey, you're our Tenth Caller!! You win the Megadeath Tickets!!!"

Or- "Hello, you've reached Strategic Air Command. Please leave your name, number, and the small country you want bombed, and we'll get back to you."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Xentrick, is the comedy-gene shared by your entire family, or is it just passed from father to son?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hello, you have reached the Colorge-Graca residence. Please select the following options on you touch-tone phone. For a message to Mila Rosario Taruc Colorge-Graca, J.D., press 1. For William Paul Graca, MBA, press 2. For Michael Nino Taruc Colorge, press 3. For Maria Nina Amelia Taruc Colorge, press 4. For Katherine Marie Faustina Taruc Colorge, press 5."

That was how my family answering machine was. Go figure that Radio Shack had a machine that can have 5 different message boxes!

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited July 13, 2000).]

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, it's a XY chromosome thing.

The females all get _incredible_ patience.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps