Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » star trek technology, not quite

Author Topic: star trek technology, not quite
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sort of like deflectors http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/space/20000725/sc/force_fields_and_plasma_shields_get_closer_to_reality_1.html

sort of like phasers set on stun http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_342000/342188.stm

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most interesting thing is how the writer tosses out "USS Voyager" with no context at all. See, Trek is still pop culture.

Actually, I kid. This is a rather fascinating article, Xentrick. Shields and cloaking devices? Recent letter-writers to Time magazine have expressed a certain disdain for the future we seem to be so rapidly gaining on, but I say let's go!

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article a few months ago on Discover about a new injection tool that acts like a hypospray, and before that there was another article about a prototype replicator that makes things out of plastic.

Who says Star Trek is fiction?

------------------
"See, for a Republican, a heart is like an appendix. It's nice to have it, but you don't really need it."

--Jay Leno

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The planet with the tachyon core does. Oh, and see my status line.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"However, trying to convince your friends to learn a language is about as easy to do as getting a date with the pickup line 'Have you been to Weight Watchers?'" - How To Invent A Real Language

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, why would they say "USS Voyager"? Usually, the Enterprise is used for vague Trek references...

------------------
Pickhard: "What is our progress, Beta?"
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."
-from the Sev Trek movie trailer

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't forget they're working on Transporters.

------------------
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tricorder Mk 1 is already among us!

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps