Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Tragedy befalls us all (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tragedy befalls us all
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today around 9:30am EST, my mother ran head on into a pickup truck. Both my mother and the other driver were killed.

I've always seen tragedy from afar. Other people's families, friends, stories... But the assumption that my family would never have to go through such a thing has been shattered.

While I wipe my eyes, and try to write this, I want to sing the praises of my mother, the sacrifices and things she has done for my family.

My mother was born with cerebral palsey. This gave her constant migranes and only half-use of her right hand. Despite this, she still married my father, who in my opinion is the greatest man to ever live. She raised us four kids with my father, gave us a great sense of moral judgement, and helped us most when we needed it.

Because the family house of her parents was given to her, the responsibility for family gatherings went to her. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. She gladly accepted this responsibility, despite the work it took to get it done.

Not once did she neglect us kids. My youngest brother is bipolar and ADD, and my second youngest brother and my older sister are ADD as well. My mother took on this responsibility with endurance and pride. She was the glue of our family.

She has done so much for me, my family as well as our friends.

Tragedy doesn't escape any family. If you would, call your parents, visit, or sit down with them at the dinner table and tell them that you love them, and be thankful for the things they have done for you. You never know when you might not have that chance again.

Brian Rada
AKA Jeff Raven

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On behalf of the entire forum, I'd like to pass on my condolences. You'll always find a sympathetic ear here.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Oh dear god.

I cannot say the same for my mother, but I understand the pain of losing someone who actually cared for you. You should be proud to have someone like her in your life. In the meantime, I offer my dear condolences.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited August 02, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Bows head in moment of silence...*

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is never good at saying anything comforting*

*passes on good wishes and stuff...*

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it doesn't help, but for what it's worth, I'm sorry, and I'll be praying for you.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll keep you in my thoughts.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, you have my deepest condolences.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, like everyone else, I want to express my sympathies.

Also, I want to say that I find it both incredibly brave and deeply touching that you've found some small glimmer of positivity to share with us in what is no doubt a very rough time. Thank you.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, everyone. Omega, it does help to pray.

I must also note, now that I have more information:

My mom died as she lived. She was coming home from giving my brother a ride to work.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

an'on
Member # 222

- posted      Profile for an'on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Charles Damark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes a moment of a silence for an old friend*

To you and your family, Jeff... may God bless you and keep you. May he ease the pain you're feeling and may he give you the reassurance that your mother has gone on to a better place.

Charles Damark

------------------
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tragedy? I'd love to take her place.

Jeff, Death is the biggest lie in the universe. There is no such thing. She's probably more alive than ever now (with NO cerebral palsy). She could watch over you any time she wants to, and you might be able to contact her if you can find the right connections. Spirits can read minds, too. THOUGHT is real, bodies are the illusion. Think of a caterpillar in a cocoon. Do you weep when the butterfly emerges? You'll see her again, I garantee it.

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is the excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited August 03, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Jeff, I don't really know what to say, so I'll just say that you have my deepest sympathies.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear this, Jeff. You have my sincerest condolences.

I only wish I could agree with Ziyal.
You know what? Maybe I do.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps