Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Football (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Football
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MLS Teams:
D.C. United
New York/New Jersey MetroStars
Chicago Fire
Dallas Burn
Colorado Rapids
Kansas City Wizards
Miami Fusion
New England Revolution
Columbus Crew
Tampa Bay Mutiny
Los Angeles Galaxy
San Jose Earthquakes (formerly the San Jose Clash)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*remembers someone pointing out that the MetroStars sounded more like a subway line than a soccer club*

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wizards? Revolution? Mutiny? God, I love these soccer team names!!

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is teh excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What i have to say about the american teams is that their are some great names like Galaxy, Fusion and Wizard. It is good that the american league is up and running and this can only be good for the sport in the long run. The only thing i do not like about the american league is that there are no draws from the matches i seen on tv in the uk.

About weekly wages $30,000 seems a lot especially for players that are close to retirement. However, this is not a lot compared to the money being spent in the spanish, italian and english leagues.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I posted before, but it seems to have buggered off down the alley of missing posts and American razors, so once again...

They are awful names. Only D.C. sounds like a real football team.

Everyone in the UK hates Manchester United. They are greedy, they charge way too much for tickets, they want to put themselves into a position of power, they have merchandising that would put Pokemon to shame, they ignored the FA Cup to go into a newer, glitzier cup (sacralige) and everyone in Manchester hates them (they all support Manchester City).

The only people who support Manchester United are Glory Hunters, people who just support them because they win, and half the time don't even know the name of their goalkeeper.

Man United are hated more than the French. The fact that Spike likes them shows that even the best of us can make mistakes.

UK Premier League players earn upwards of �60,000. Which isn't much compared to US Football, Baseball and Basketball players, is it?

Football is pissingly easy to play, with the sole exception of the offside rule. To play football, you need a couple of jumpers and a ball. And at least two people. It's a lot harder to set up a quick game of baseball.

Grr.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
". The only thing i do not like about the american league is that there are no draws from the matches i seen on tv in the uk."

Er, we have draws. You draw, you get a single point. You win, you get three points.

You only don't get draws in certain cups, where you'd then get extra time added on, and if the draw remains a, er, draw, then it goes to a penalty shoot-out, one of the most tense situations in the modern world.

And something else about Manchester United. A Man U player was responsible for us getting knocked out of the World Cup in 1998 and the European Cup in 2000. The bastards.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About soccer player's salaries: Here in the Netherlands, top players of the top teams earn about $1 million annually. Even players in the Second Division earn about $200,000. And Rivaldo from FC Barcelona even earns $5,000,000. Top players who get transfered to another club... it is growing out of proportions. Lazio Roma lately payed $60,000,000 for a player!

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the MLS team names, you have to remember, the MLS is set up to be the Professional level, just like the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc. And the MLS team names are not that different from how all the other sports name their teams. Take teams like the Tennessee Titans, Colorado Avalanche, Toronto Raptors, Arizona Diamondbacks. The names have more to do with something historical with the city they are in then with sounding like something that goes with the sport.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps