Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Announcing the discovery of yet another extrasolar planet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Announcing the discovery of yet another extrasolar planet
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 41st extrasolar planet is discovered. It's located at Epsilon Eridani, a K2V star, 600 million years young, and 10.7 lightyears from Earth. It's the nearest confirmed exoplanet so far.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000804/sc/space_planet_dc_1.html

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Epsilon Eridani where Vulcan is supposed to be?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Gandalf DIES in the mines of Moria, but will later be RESURRECTED in GLORIFIED form having triumphed over EVIL, an obvious literary ALLUSION to that movie where the guy comes back as a DOG." - The Fellowship of the Ring

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now we just need a starship with a warp drive.

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is teh excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcan is supposed to be orbiting the trinary star Omicron-2 Eridani. Also known as 40 Eridani and located 15.7 lightyears away, this system consists of a K-class star half as faint as the Sol, with further in orbit a white dwarf and a red dwarf. But I don't believe the 40 Eridani-assumption is strictly canon. It was an idea proposed in fanfic, and is generally accepted now. The above stats on the system, come from todays astronomical research, and have never been mentioned in Trek.

Epsilon Eridani has only 30% of Sol's brightness. Being also a very young star, it is unlikely that there are indigenous intelligent civilizations by now. It is even so young, that its planetary system is still not fully condensed into real planets, so can be concluded by infrared observations by the 1980s 'IRAS' space telescope. It observed an excess of infrared radiation, appearently caused by dust shrouds around the star itself.

Just some more info... for the ones who are interested.

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcan was also assigned to Epsilon Eridani at some point, but I believe it's less-accepted than 40-Eridani. However, since a planet was found around Epsilon, not 40, everyone keeps making the Vulcan connection anyway.

------------------
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then, suddenly, it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-Matt Groening

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there isn't much light - might that not account for the 'grey aliens'?? If there is low light - they'd have large eyes, and pale skin!

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Thanks for the info Alpha. Where'd you get it?

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Info about Epsilon Eri and 40 Eri? From my mind. I'm a die-hard amateur astronomer, those people have complete databases in their head.

The Vulcan question: 40 Eri was used in the most reputed fandom publications. There is only one (?) reference of Vulcan being in orbit around Eps Eri, namely Fred Goldsteins Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology (1980). But this has never been fully accepted in fandom.

The aliens: The little grey men are supposed to come from Zeta Reticuli: a wide binary star consisting of two G2V stars, both stars emitting 90% of Sol's light. Located 37 lightyears away. There have also been reports of them coming from Delta Pavonis, a G5V (I'm not sure about that) star, located some 19.2 lightyears away.

I've read an interesting article on the alien/Zeta Reticuli question, lately. It's not written by die-hard UFO geeks, but by scientists. It's very convincing. It was impossible for me to track it down again, but I had a copy of the HTML document on my harddisk, and uploaded it to: http://www.treknology.8m.com/zetareticuli.html.

Creating a new discussion: who of you do believe in alien visitations from space? I do, anyway. And that's all the fault of the above mentioned article.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they out there? Almost certainly.
Are they here? I'm not saying.

Well, okay, I'll talk. I'm actually from the 5th planet orbiting the star you know as Nu Cassiopeia, which was settled by the native inhavitants of the fourth planet, about 250 years ago.

Or maybe I'm not.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't possigly imagine what aliens capable of interstellar flight would want to do here...

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Observing/researching/acting out of curiousity? Probably they don't have a Prime Directive... if we believe in alien abduction. But regarding that, I think 99.99% of such stories are b*llsh*t.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited August 06, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they come to watch Survivor...

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Survivour?! I don't understand how anyone can watch that shit...

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that was supposed to be the joke... :-)

And "survivour"? Do you guys actually spell it like that?

------------------
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then, suddenly, it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-Matt Groening

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Of course we do :P

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 06, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps