Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Washington/DC

Author Topic: Washington/DC
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can somebody explain to me what the differents is between Washington and DC? (No jokes please!)

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Washington the city is located in the District of Columbia, a district that was made out of parts of two states (forgot which) so one state wouldn't have the glory of having the USA's capital. Washington is a city (the only one I think) in the District of Columbia. And the DC is the city-state thing where it is located. So Washington is the city and DC is the almost "state" like district that contains Washington. To explain it in simple terms.

There is also a real state called Washington in the Pacific Northwest that has no conection to Washington, DC besides the name.
Hope this explains it.

------------------
Scientists recently broke the speed of light with...light. That means that the light left the emitter before the emitter was turned on. How do you figure that paradox out?

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Georgetown partly in DC?

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Georgetown is part of Washington itself, actually...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I love you all. Now shut up. Danke." - Simon Sizer

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The District of Columbia is fit snugly in between Maryland and Virginia.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Georgetown is just a district of Washington DC, like 'downtown' of any other city. And a rather neat place to go.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, when decided to make Washington the capital, they didn't want it to be in any particular state, so they made it into its own little "state". Except that, rather than calling it a "state", they called it a "district", the District of Columbia, aka "DC".

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seemed apart from the rest of Washington, if I remember correctly. Moving from the slums into Senator housing. Just 'bout a new city as far as my standards are. Samething with the Philadelphia Main Line, I consider it a different entity. But that's the novelty of the metrolop.

The west isn't like that. Surburban sprawl for miles in every direction. The city ends when the paved road becomes dirt, the the dirt road becomes dessert terrain.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington is a state with rain forests, volcanos, very large and icy volcanos, a large population of millionaires, nuclear power plants, deserts, both environmental and cultural; a Real World cast, and me.

Apparently there's some Federal District somewhere back east with a similar name.

The Magnetic Fields have a song called "Washington D.C."

(I wonder how many of these will actually work.)

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to why "population" links to Amazon?

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On account of it being located in the "millionaires of Washington" section of my little guided tour.

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington has me.... Washington DC does not.... that's the major difference, I think

~LOA

------------------
No, you CAN'T see my picture!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps