Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Not gross, but interesting.

Author Topic: Not gross, but interesting.
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to be the life of the (dull) party?

Read and heed!

------------------
No, I'm not cold. I'm just trying to pretend I don't want a cigarrette!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing some quick tests, I determined that 300 mL of water will become "superheated" somewhere between 2 mins and 2 mins 30 seconds in a microwave set on "high." Your results may vary.

Anyone wishing to continue work on this is advised to use plastic containers.

(Note to self: Do NOT put room-temperature water in a glass which a moment ago contained boiling-hot water.)

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's getting too warm to do this in the Northern hemisphere, but you can also do neat stuff with boiling hot water when the ambient temperature is near zero fahrenheit (approximately -15 C). Heat a cup (or mug) of water to near boiling. Take it outside and throw the hot water into the air. The water flash-freezes into ice crystals, looking for all the world like white smoke.

--Baloo

------------------
No, I'm not cold. I'm just trying to pretend I don't want a cigarrette!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a bit of video on some science documentary regarding one of those cheerful Antarctic outposts: as a demonstration of the fun-filled climate situation down there, one of the happy residents took a pot of boiling, scalding-hot water off the range top and hurried out into the dark night, throwing the boiling water into the air-----none of it reached the snow.

Wow! Now that's some kind of cold.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps